5| "𝘣𝘰𝘰𝘻𝘦"

BOOZE•••

BOOZE
•••

"Y/N!" Charlie exclaims chipperly upon seeing you walk through the door. She leaps forward, capturing your hands in her softer ones. "You're back! I mean- how was work? You look exhausted! Are you—"

"Charlie!" You interrupt her with a grin, gently easing her hands off of yours. "It was okay, I promise. It was just a long shift."

"You sure that's all it was?"

You glance behind Charlie to find the source of the voice, finding Vaggie, Charlie's girlfriend who has thus far avoided you like the plague, who approaches and stands beside the princess, placing a hand on her shoulder. "Charlie's right. You look terrible."

"I'm sure," You insist, smiling a little weaker. You've never wanted so desperately to just go to bed, write the day off as a failure, try again tomorrow.

You make an advance toward the staircase, but you halt your movements when Sir Pentious partially intercepts your path, smiling sheepishly. "Y/N, I sssee that you're back...!" He begins, two fingers reaching up to readjust his tilting tophat. "It just ssso happens that I came across thisss diner—"

Before Sir Pentious can finish his— well,
what can only be assumed to be a date invitation, Alastor comes up behind him and shoves him back, taking his spot. "Y/N, welcome back, my dear!" He exclaims, a brief laugh track audible over the static that consumes his amplified voice. "Well, don't you look rough? Come along, let's fix you up, then why don't we go out for a little stroll?" Sir Pentious sneers and raises a finger in protest, but is silenced by Alastor, who adds: "So! What do you say? It's a lovely hour, don't you think?"

"That sounds great, but," You begin, and Alastor's eyes narrow slightly, his grin tightening. "I'm really, truly exhausted. I'd love to take a rain check, though...?" You throw on a sleepy, but perky, smile and slide past him, hurrying up the steps before anyone else can stop you.

'No fucking way am I taking a rain check. I can barely handle the overlords I'm already involved with.' You think on your way up.

Charlie watches you go, then clears her throat and grins, clasping her hands together. "Wow, Alastor, it is seriously so great that you're making such an effort with Y/N!" She cheers, clapping her hands and hopping up and down. "You don't think we're pushing them too hard, right? Because I know I have a teensie weensie tendency to push—"

"Charlie," Vaggie interrupts, grabbing her arm and shooting a sharp glare toward Alastor, who has been standing there with his usual grin the whole time. "Can we talk? Like, alone?"