Episode 22: Lone Hero

The thing about being a hero is that darkness is always looming.

Kirby sat outside of his house, sword in hand and funny green hat on head.

Any second now, Dark Matter was going to strike, putting the whole town in danger.

Just like every day.

"Kirby, are you okay?" Tiff said as she walked by, "You seem upset."

Kirby had been glaring off into space for the past four hours. In the weeks that he'd been on Popstar, he noticed that when he beat the daily threat early on, he had the rest of the day to relax. Tiff, not knowing why he was doing this, turned to her brother.

"Tuff, I'm getting worried about him..." She whispered.

"Relax, sis!" Tuff said, reaching into his pocket, "I got this!" The little boy pulled a bag of pretzels out of his pocket, and shook it in front of Kirby. "Kirby, are ya hungry-"

Before Tuff could finish talking, Kirby jumped at the bag, slicing it open with his blade. Small, salty snacks began spilling from the hole onto the ground. The hungry, hungry hero sat down and began eating them off of the ground. Tiff sat down next to him and patted his back.

It was nice, relaxing with his friends. Maybe it was better to relax until a threat arrived. It wasn't like anything was going on today.

Suddenly, King Dedede's royal buggy drove directly up to Kirby's house, nearly running over the three children. The king opened the door of the buggy, and pointed directly at the pink puffball.

"Kirbeh!" He said, "You're invited to a royal party!"

The three children were flabbergasted, as Escargoon halfheartedly shot a confetti cannon upwards.

=====

*Theme Song Plays*

=====

Kirby looked at the confetti falling down on him. Tiff and Tuff were more focused on the fact that King Dedede had just nearly ran them over and invited them to a party. The king, undeterred, continued.

"That's right, a party at Castle Dedede! All just for you, Kirbeh!"

"What's the catch?" Tiff asked, ever suspicious.

"No catch!" Dedede said, handing Kirby a stack of invitations, "Consider it a thanks for saving me! So, here's some invitations for your friends! See you at 8!"

And with that, they drove off, coating the three of them in mud.

Kirby looked at the pieces of paper and realized something. Whenever Dark Matter attacked, it was usually in the middle of an important event. An event like a party at the castle.

Dark Matter was going to attack at the castle tonight.

Kirby counted the invitations. There were five of them. He'd better use them wisely.

=====

The castle could've been better. As King Dedede sat in the throne room, his eyes wandered over to the wall, which was still under construction. The attack yesterday nearly tore the whole place apart. Thankfully, for the employees, everyone except for construction workers, cleaners, and the royal court, had been given a leave of absence.

King Dedede sat in his throne, contemplating his life choices. Escargoon was standing next to the throne, being slightly disturbed by Marx's latest act. The jester, after some experimentation, had decided that physical comedy was the best way to entertain the king. The only thing wrong was how far he went.