CHAPTER ELEVEN: I HATE VEGAS

S4, EP6 - The Instincts

"Reid," Aurora called gently, coaxing the genius from his dream-induced slumber, his features were distorted with discomfort and fear as he was shocked back into the land of the conscious, a thin veil of sweat lined his forehead, his hands trembled and his eyes darted across the plane, finding the rest of the team observing him, concern written across their features.

The genius rubbed his eyes, looking around at the agents, he quickly attempted to mask his disorientation with focus, his hands returning to the file that had slipped into his lap when he dozed off, "Sorry," He said, his voice still hoarse from sleep, he cleared his throat and frowned, turning away from the light coming through the window, "I was... dreaming,"

"No kidding," Morgan, sitting at the end of the couch, said, his eyes fixed on the genius, his concern not yet faded.

"We found a six-year-old boy who had been abused and stabbed," Reid mumbled, eyes moving towards JJ sitting in a seat across from the couch, "You baby was at the crime scene, I was trying to get him out of there," JJ frowned, unsure of the meaning behind the genius's strange dream, "Sorry,"

"It's okay," JJ assured him, hand instinctively running across her abdomen.

"You know, Reid, simple dream analysis, if there's a baby in your dreams, that baby is you," Morgan revealed,

"I don't believe in dream analysis," Reid shot back,

Aurora who had returned to her seat beside Prentiss, placed her fresh latte down on the table, her eyes fixing on Reid as she challenged him, "Just because Freud was discredited doesn't mean you can ignore Jung, he still has his merits, he suggests that dreams are the subconscious trying to communicate with the conscious mind," She revealed, Reid frowned at her suggestion, eyes turning down towards the couch.

"It makes sense," Hotch revealed from his position against the sideboard across from the central table, "The case we're working on and the case in your dream both involve children, maybe your subconscious is telling you that you want to sit this one out," He suggested.

"I don't," Reid said firmly,

"Well maybe you're just stressed out about going home to Las Vegas," Prentiss offered, "Did you tell your mom that you're coming,"

Reid frowned, looking around at the agents more focused on him than the case they had been called to work on urgently, "Why aren't we reviewing the case file?" He asked shortly.

Prentiss smiled, hands moving vaguely in the air as she teased the youngest agent, "I don't know, maybe because someone fell asleep on the jet," She told him lightly,

The genius smiled, shaking his head as he looked down at the file the rest of the team had a copy of, Hotch refocused the team, looking to JJ to begin the case review, "All right, let's start from the beginning one more time," He told the group,