CHAPTER TWELVE: A MOTHER'S INSTINCT

S4, EP6 - The Instincts

The night was filled with very little sleep, Aurora had spent the majority of her night watching over Reid after he woke the entire house screaming and clawing at himself as he fought off the nightmares that had been plaguing him since the case began; initially, he had refused to go back to sleep but exhaustion soon took over and he returned to the world of his mind, he continued to toss and turned but didn't call out for his colleagues help or scream out in fear, instead he held tightly onto the comforting hand of his newest friend, her support felt even in sleep.

Once morning arrived, everyone began preparing to attend the funeral of the first victim, the boy's parents had made it public after the profilers requested it with the hope that the unsub would attend and they would be able to catch him and get them to confess where Michael was.

Amy reached the bottom of the stairs, her eyes landing on the darkly dressed group of profilers waiting for her and her husband, she stopped at the last step, her breathing becoming more uncontrolled, "I can't do this, I'm sorry. I can't go to the funeral," Her husband opposed her, practically ordering her to come, his emotions clouded by determination; she ignored him and instead turned to the profilers who had asked her to attend, "You're asking us to go to the funeral of a five-year-old boy, we're going to watch them lower his body into the ground and the same man who killed him has our son,"

"If the man who took Michael is there, your presence might startle him," Morgan explained calmly, "We're looking for anything that might draw him out,"

Amy shook her head, "I can't watch them bury a child knowing that we're next,"

"We feel like this plan has a reasonable chance of success," Morgan stated.

"What do you consider a reasonable chance I will ever see my son again?" She questioned, tears now running down her cheeks, "Ten? Twenty percent?" The profilers remained silent, confirming her suspicious that this was a long shot, that the likelihood they would get this guy as easily as they hoped was small, she turned and walked away, heading back up to the one place she wanted to be, the place she could be closest to her son while he was lost.

Craig went to follow his wife but stopped when a hand landed on his arm, he turned and saw Aurora had stepped forward, "Let me talk to her while Morgan and Reid brief you," She said softly, moving up the flight of stairs and leaving the profilers to discuss with the determined father what he would need to look for if he still planned on attending the funeral. 

Aurora moved down the small hall, reaching the young boy's bedroom, the door left open, the room untouched since his disappearance, except for the bed where Amy sat, clutching a small stuffed animal to her chest. Aurora lent against the doorframe, her arms crossed over her chest as she watched the mother caress the stuffed animal's ear with her thumb, "Aren't you going to say something?" Amy asked after a moment, the agent shook her head, "You aren't going to try and force me to go?"