Reason

"I want to break up."

Those words echoed in Maeve's mind; she was in shock. Her heart and mind were trying to process what Stephen told her. Her body was still and felt like a stone; her mind slowly went blank. Stephen wanted to break up with her. "Wh-Wh-What?"

Stephen put his hands under the table and hid his fidgeting hands and fingers; he looked down, ashamed and embarrassed. However, he couldn't deny that he was slowly feeling relief. "I-I-I...you know what I just said. Please...don't make me say it again."

The silence between the couple felt like an eternity, but the hostess eventually arrived with the tray of food. Upon arrival, the hostess immediately noticed the uneasiness of Stephen and Maeve's stoic expression. The hostess knew something would go wrong and didn't want to be caught in the middle. "H-Here is your food! I-I hope that you enjoy your meal! Please f-feel free to call me for anything you may need." Once the food was set down, the hostess immediately left the couple. The scent of food hit their noses; they looked appetizing, but the food was ignored.

"S-Say it again."

Stephen flinched when he noticed Maeve's emotionless tone of voice. "Maeve, please."

Maeve began to tremble, trying to keep her tears from forming. She couldn't believe Stephen wanted to break up with her. Many questions were going through her mind, but one stood out: "Why?"

The young man couldn't look at her; he looked down on his food. He slowly got his eating utensils and began cutting his salmon to pieces. It helped calm his nerves but prevented him from looking at Maeve; he simultaneously felt her anger and sadness. "This is not the-"

"NOT THE PLACE!? YOU BROUGHT ME HERE TO BREAK UP WITH ME!" Maeve pounded the table so hard and loud that it startled people in and out of the restaurant. The anger, shock, and heartbreak were too much for the young woman. She didn't care if everyone wanted to look and talk about her. She felt that her heart and soul were about to break into pieces. Stephen heard people mumbling and wondered what was happening. The embarrassment was getting stronger. "YOU WILL TELL ME OR ELSE I WON'T CALM DOWN!"

Stephen shushed her as he immediately stood and motioned her to sit. "Okay! Okay! Please sit, and I will tell you! You at least deserve that!" he said in a whisper-like tone. When he finally got a glimpse of her. He noticed that her once beautiful eyes were slowly turning blood-shot red due to the rage. Her face slowly turned disheveled; he felt he no longer recognized her. Stephen knew that he had broken his now ex-girlfriend. Maeve slowly sat back down, her eyes never leaving him. "I-I know what I am doing is wrong. I-I wanted us to be here because I hoped I would change my mind." He shook his head, feeling disappointed in himself. "I was wrong."

Maeve felt her breathing was getting rougher; her anxiety was slowly getting the best of her. She breathed heavily and tried to calm herself down. "Stephen, you are trying my patience."

"Okay! Okay! I-I-I don't love you as I used to! That's the truth, Maeve!" Stephen took a quick bite of his salmon to help soothe his nerves. "I-I lost feelings for you. It's not you, it's me. You want more, but I don't."

A scoff escaped Maeve's lips. "How long have you felt this way?"

"Two years."

Maeve's eyes and lips opened slightly. Due to the anxiety and blood flow, her entire body became slightly warm. "T-Two years!? Are you kidding me!? You wasted those two years of my life and made me look like an idiot! Why did it take you so long to tell me!?"

"L-Look, Maeve. You have every right to feel angry because I was afraid and selfish. I-I was afraid to start anew. I wasn't confident about leaving because I wanted to do more with my life. Being tied down scares me." He poured himself another cup of wine and drank it whole. "Now, I can't keep lying to you. You deserve to be with someone who wants what you want." He let out a deep breath. Stephen felt all his fear and nervousness leave once he revealed the truth. All he felt was guilt for wasting his ex's time. Stephen was prepared for the worst. "Maeve?"

The young woman couldn't hold her tears anymore. They dripped from her beautiful eyes, and she slowly stood. "I-I don't kn-know what else I-I can say to you. I-I loved you, even now. I-I would have respected you if you said something sooner. Wh-What offends me is that you used me and wasted my life." She got her bag and left Stephen alone with the food and bill. Stephen watched as his now ex walked away. He was prepared to face all her anger but was surprised she contained her emotions by the end. It made him feel terrible all over again.

Meanwhile, Maeve walked through parts of the restaurant; she didn't care that people noticed her tear-stricken face. She eventually got out and went inside her car. Once inside, she struggled to find her keys; her hands trembled. The frustration got so much that she threw her bag in the seat beside her. More tears formed, and she let out a loud sob as she pounded the driving wheel. She couldn't contain her emotions; she cried while hugging herself. 

While crying, she noticed some city workers putting ladders on some palm-like trees and began to put Christmas lights on them. Realization hit her; Maeve's hopes and dreams were dashed before the holidays.