Unexpected

When Treyton agreed to the baking class, Maeve immediately called Patrisha's teacher to see if anything else had to be done to participate. All that needed to be done was for their names to RSVP to be part of the class. Maeve was surprised that many people learned about the free class and how many spaces were slowly filling up. It was a relief that Maeve called when she did; tomorrow was the day, and Maeve went to her close to see what outfit she would wear.

"Maybe I need to go to Ross or Macy's to see if there is something I need to find." While looking through her closets, her phone rang. The young woman immediately went to her phone to see who was trying to call her. When looking at the caller ID, she stiffened.

It was Stephen.

Her hand and arm trembled so much that her phone almost fell from her grip. However, Maeve carried her phone to her bed and watched the phone ring. She didn't know what to do. Should she answer or ignore him? He clarified that he stopped loving her for a while and didn't want to be with her. Why would he call her? The young woman slowly walked toward the bed as the phone kept ringing. Curiosity slowly set in, and Maeve decided to get a hold of the phone. Her thumb trembled as she pushed the 'answer button.' Maeve took a deep breath. "H-Hello." It was silent on the other end momentarily. The silence always made Maeve anxious; Stephen would use silence whenever he was upset. Silence was power. Maeve slowly realized that it was Stephen's way to show his power. "Stephen, if you're going to play this game, I will hang up."

Maeve was about to hang up but then heard Stephen clear his throat. "Maeve."

His voice echoed throughout her mind. She couldn't deny that she missed hearing his voice, but then she thought about Treyton. The thought of him made her feel so much joy and warmth. Missing Stephen wasn't as strong. "Stephen." He was silent, which annoyed Maeve slightly. 
You didn't call to give me the silent treatment. Let this be a last warning, or I will hang up and block your number."

"Wait, sorry for being quiet. I-I didn't know what to say. I felt I didn't deserve to call or hear your voice."

"Then, why call?"

"I was calling to apologize for how I acted that night. I acted so cold and heartless. I also realized that my handling of everything was wrong. I wasn't thinking straight."

Maeve bit her lower lip, trembling in hurt and rage. He finally admitted that his handling of the breakup was wrong. He put them up in a public place where he knew Maeve couldn't control her emotions. She wanted to yell and tell him many kinds of profanities, but she was exhausted from feeling so many negative emotions. It was pointless to hold on to grudges. Not only that, Maeve was slowly moving on since she was dating Treyton. The young woman took a deep breath as she gripped her phone tightly. "I forgive you, Stephen. I was very hurt by the way you broke up with me. Although, I'm still angry that you wasted years of my life just because you were afraid." She took a deep breath, fighting off the tears that threatened to form. "If you wanted my forgiveness, then you have it. Also, this will be the last time you will ever call and hear from me again."

"Maeve..." Stephen sounded surprised. Not only had he ever heard her speak to him in such a way: confident. "We shouldn't just forget about everything we went through. We could still talk and be friends. I know we are starting to make new beginnings, but it doesn't mean we should forget the past."

"You still have the nerve to think that we could be friends. I feel you're doing this to overcome your guilt and not out of genuine want for friendship. Whenever you feel guilt, that is what you do. You try to get on people's good side to keep your pride." Maeve scoffed and then chuckled. "As I mentioned, I forgive you. I no longer want to keep the anger; there's no point. We both should move on. I know I am."

"You are?" Stephen sounded surprised.

Maeve didn't know whether or not to tell her ex about her dating Treyton. She knew she was a hypocrite but wanted to hurt Stephen, even if it was a little. "Yeah. I'm seeing someone. I met him at the Botanic Gardens, and we went out for a coffee date yesterday. Initially, I was hesitant, but like I said, we need to move on." She smiled as her rage and hurt died down. The grip on her phone lessened. "It may or may not work, but I would still feel happy and proud of myself for taking the first steps to move on with my life. You also should do the same. It's what you always wanted." Stephen stuttered; he struggled to find the right words to say, but Maeve didn't want to hear anything from him anymore. "After this, your number will be blocked and you will become nothing more than my past. I wish you the best of luck. Move on." She hung up.

Maeve trembled again, and she dropped her phone to the floor. She put her hands over her face as she tried to grasp everything she had said. Surprisingly, Maeve felt peace and satisfaction. It felt like she accepted the breakup and the need to move on. The young woman felt empowered that she had taken back her confidence and strength. "I know I did the right thing. He would only be a reminder of the past and what couldn't be. I need to focus on the present and future. Besides, I have another date with Treyton and it's something I look forward to."