Preparations

It was 6 p.m., and Maeve had just finished dressing for her coffee meetup. She looked at her reflection, which showed her in a cable-knit lantern sweater dress with tight black leggings and small black boots. Her red hair was curled, and she wore minimal makeup, which made her eyes and skin pop. "I think I look good." Her thoughts were interrupted when her cell phone rang; she got nervous. The young woman thought that Treyton may have changed his mind; deep down, she hoped it wasn't the case. When looking at the caller ID, she saw her Mother's number. "Hey, Mom. Sorry for not calling you sooner."

"Hey, Maeve, I was wondering if you were going to call or not. How was the event?"

"It was okay. I met a few people but many were photographers and older. I kind of felt a bit off from the group."

Laoise sighed. "That's understandable, but like I said, you should be open to meeting new people, no matter their age. What ended up happening?"

Maeve considered whether or not to tell her Mother what she was going to do soon. However, she thought it would be nice to tell someone. "Well, I went my own way since I like to go at my own pace. While exploring, I kind of...well...met someone." It was silent on the other end, and Maeve face-palmed herself, thinking she had upset her Mother. She got out of a five-year relationship, and the situation may have looked like a sense of desperation, but Maeve didn't see it that way. Treyton asked her out, but it was just a friendly coffee. "Mom?"

"Wow, Maeve. I'm so proud of you!"

Her Mother's reaction was unexpected. Maeve thought her Mother would tell her to be cautious or unsure if she had made the right decisions. Yet, the young woman felt relieved that her Mother sounded happy. "Y-You are?"

"Well, of course! I was very worried that you would not go to the event or would make other excuses for the event being bonkers! I'm happy that you actually met someone. Tell me about him."

"I don't know a lot about him. All I know is that he is divorced and is a bit older." Maeve hesitated to mention Treyton's age. However, if the coffee date went well, her Mother would eventually ask for his age. She decided not to lie or hide anything from her Mother. 

"He's older? How old is he?"

Maeve bit her lower lip. "He-He's fifty."

Laoise was silent for an eternity, but she eventually responded. "He's eighteen years older than you, Maeve."

"I know, Mom."

The older woman sighed again. "Look, you know how I feel about dating older men that are ten years older. Many of these men don't always have good intentions. You're still young, Maeve."

"I know, Mom. I was surprised when I asked him, but he seemed very kind and sounded like a good conversationalist. Believe it or not, I felt very comfortable and at peace. It's something I can't explain; it's bizarre. He asked me out for a small coffee date and we can know more about one another."

"He sounds as if he's going too fast, as you are. Maeve, I am happy that you met someone but you need to be cautious. Don't jump into a relationship too quick."

"I know that. You always told me to keep an open mind, and I am. I'm aware that this man is older than me, and there is a possibility that he may not have good intentions. However, we can't always judge a book by its cover. Sometimes, people could be misunderstood just because of their age and appearance."

Mother and daughter were silent, and Maeve felt her anxiety lessen. She felt relieved that she stood up against her Mother's judgment on Treyton. Yet, Maeve couldn't blame her Mother entirely; she was just worried. "You are right, Maeve. You know that I worry about you, that's all. It's your life and your decision; you're an adult. Just be careful and call me tomorrow to tell me how your little coffee date went."

"I will." The duo hung up, and Maeve put her phone in her small green purse. She let out a deep breath. Maeve knew that her Mother still didn't agree with her decision to go out with Treyton, but the young woman didn't want the disapproval to get in the way of a new opportunity. She got her black jacket and her keys and went to her car. Maeve drove toward her destination, which luckily wasn't too far. While driving, her palms slowly became sweaty; she was nervous and excited. "Just go there and be yourself. Whatever happens, happens."

Upon arrival, Maeve parked in a parking garage, paid the ticket, and walked to the coffee shop; she used her Google Maps to help find the location. Many people were walking in the streets of Long Beach, and the stores were decorated with Christmas lights and pictures. The city workers were putting yellow Christmas lights on the many palm trees of the city. Her phone vibrated and announced that she arrived at the coffee shop. Maeve didn't go inside but looked through the window to see if Treyton arrived; he wasn't there. She looked at her phone, and it was already 7 p.m. "Maybe he's late or changed his mind." It was decided that Maeve would wait outside the coffee shop. She waited for ten minutes, but Treyton still had not arrived. 

The young woman felt saddened and believed that Treyton wouldn't arrive; he hadn't sent her a message to tell her whether he would be late. She was about to leave but then noticed someone speed-walking. "Maeve!" 

Treyton was seen, and it looked like he was in a hurry. Maeve let out a sigh of relief; he arrived. He stopped before her as he got a white handkerchief to wipe off the sweat from the back of his neck. "Sorry I was late; the traffic was a bit too much! Are you ready to go inside?"

Maeve smiled as he opened the door for her. "Am I ever."