Library Coffee House

A soft scent of coffee and bread was in the air as Maeve and Treyton entered the cafe. It was a small coffee shop with several wooden round tables surrounded by elegant wooden chairs and some one-space sofas. There were three wooden bookshelves by the entrance filled with many books but many 18th-20th century authors, giving the shop a vintage vibe. 

There were lamps by the corners of the small coffee shop and a couple of ceiling lights that gave it a dimly lit scenery. Paintings were hung on different parts of the walls; some plants were by the windows and tables. Soft Christmas jazz music played in the background, making the customers feel at ease. Treyton glanced at Maeve, who looked stunned as she looked at the place; he was relieved that she liked it. He enjoyed the Library Coffee House since it made the customers feel at home while being away from home. "So what do you think?"

This got Maeve out of her daze, and she smiled at him. "Oh, uh, I like it very much. I can't believe I never knew about a place like this! I also live nearby, so I will be coming here more often. Maybe I will bring my friend and Mother here."

Treyton motioned Maeve to walk to the counter with the menu board on the upper wall. Four people were behind the counter making coffee and bakery orders. There were a few options, but they looked delicious nonetheless. When it was the duo's turn, Maeve ordered the iced blended chai latte while Treyton ordered a Turkish coffee. Afterward, he went to sit by the window where the curtains were tied to the side. Maeve was nervous; she had been on some dates in her teens and twenties. However, Treyton was the first man eighteen years older than her with much experience. Whenever he looked at her with his beautiful eyes, it made her heart skip a beat. Although they had been together for five years, Stephen never made her feel that way. 

"Sorry, I was late. Believe it or not I was debating what I wanted to wear and I didn't think the traffic would be bad. I'm glad you didn't leave."

A blush came across Maeve's face. "It's okay. I'm glad that you didn't stand me up." Maeve felt her face become warmer than it already was. "I can't believe I said that to him!"

The werewolf noticed her embarrassment and thought it was adorable, but he couldn't blame her for feeling the way she did. He would have thought the same if he were in her situation. It hurt him to think that she would think he would leave her like her ex. Treyton never would have imagined that the mate pull was potent; he was more sensitive to her thoughts and feelings. It made him want to make her happy. If she ever got sad, he felt the same. Now, he understood why his ex-wife wanted a divorce and not leave her mate. The hurt, anger, and loneliness he felt without his ex-wife were immediately gone when he found out that Maeve was his mate. "Still, I should have at least called or texted you. I guess you could say that I was stressed and in such a hurry."

"It's alright. We're here now, so that's all that matters." The silence between them echoed within the shop, and the coffee machines and jazz music echoed. "So, tell me more about yourself. I know we couldn't speak a lot in the gardens."

Suddenly, the Barista announced the duo's names, making them stand to get their drinks. With drinks in hand, they sat back down in their seats. Treyton took a sip of his hot drink and thought of something quick to say: "Well, I was originally from Germany, but I moved here when I was ten for better opportunities; my family did the same. I'm also the CEO of my own business."

"Really? What kind of business?"

"The use of herbal medicine but as you know, other medical corporations don't like the healthy way of medicine. Healthy people means less business."

Maeve couldn't help but feel intrigued by Treyton's line of business. The way he spoke made him seem passionate about what he did. "Wow, I can't imagine all the hard work and determination you had to make your business happen. I wouldn't be able to do that. Kudos to you," she said while sipping her drink. She couldn't believe how delicious it was; it wasn't too sweet. "Wow, this is good. I'm glad you brought me here."

"I'm glad you like it. The coffee and drinks here are made by natural ingredients. How about you? What do you do?"

"I'm a special education teacher and I co-teach with another teacher who also happens to be my best friend."

Treyton felt warmth in his body. Being a special education teacher was an honorable job for which many people didn't have the patience. It took someone to have an incredible amount of patience to work with children and individuals with special needs. "That's admirable. I respect what you do. I'm sorry that teachers aren't respected and recognized for their work."

"Thanks for that. It's hard, especially with all the IEPs (Individualized Educational Plans) one has to work on. However, seeing the children's progress makes it all worth it. The two kept speaking to one another about their passions, likes, and dislikes. Minutes turned into two hours; customers went in and out, and the duo stayed. 

Treyton was having the time of his life; he never had so much fun. He enjoyed seeing Maeve's upbeat personality, smiles, and eccentricity. She had many dreams and aspirations of advocating for families and students and one day traveling to Ireland. It was also learned that her father died, and she only has her mother and her best friend. It saddened him that she didn't have many people in her life, but if Maeve accepted him and who he was, he would ensure she wouldn't be alone. Treyton looked at his phone and was surprised at how time went. "I was wondering if you would like to take a walk? Sitting here can be a bit tiring."

Maeve giggled as she nodded. "That sounds nice. It would also be nice to look at the Christmas decorations."

The duo stood, threw their cups away, and left the shop. Treyton felt that everything was going well. They walked by the streets and noticed the traffic dissipating and many people walking by. "It seems people are getting excited for the holidays," said Treyton.

"I agree. I love the holidays, but after the current events, I was going to change that view. Sorry, I didn't want to bring up my failed relationship. By the way, what do you usually do in the holidays?"

"Well, since my ex and I divorced, things changed. However, I still have my son and some other family members that I hang out."

Maeve eyed him and was disappointed in herself to think that he didn't have kids. "Oh, how old is your son?"

Treyton was silent and realized that there was the possibility that Maeve may not want to date someone with children. He hoped that she was open-minded and accepting. Their age gap was eighteen years, which was the most significant conflict. "My son is nineteen." They kept walking and watching the decorations and stores, but Maeve didn't know what to say. Treyton didn't want to scare her off and felt he had to be honest. "I hope that won't be trouble."

"I'm not against men having kids, but when the children are older, it can be...problematic. Sometimes, they may not be very accepting."

"I understand your point of view. My son knows whoever I date is for me; he eventually accepted my ex's new partner. He knows I am careful in my decisions and don't jump to conclusions in certain situations. My son and I don't hide things from one another." It was a small lie since he didn't tell his son about Maeve's age, but he would talk to him. He stopped, which made Maeve stop. He turned and looked at her, and she did the same. "After our nice time in the coffee shop, I truly enjoyed your company and personality. Yet, it will be your decision whether or not you would like to see me again. It will be your decision." The Alpha looked confident on the outside, but on the inside, he was terrified that she would not want to see him again. It was a gamble, and Maeve had the last move.

Maeve was thoughtful and looked at Treyton's expression of understanding. He was giving her a choice whether or not she wanted to know more about him. She couldn't deny the fun she had. It had been a while since she enjoyed herself in a conversation. If Maeve decided to give him a chance, she would have to deal with her mother's continuous disapproval, Patrisha's curiosity, and the possibility of meeting Treyton's son. Deep down, she was tired of wanting other people's approval; it made her realize that it only made her miserable. 

Life was about experience and taking risks.

"I would like to see you again if you feel the same."

A sensation of relief spread within Treyton; he wanted to howl with joy. The Alpha was thrilled that Maeve would give him the opportunity. "I-I would like the same." They continued with their night.