CHAPTER - 5

Veer's Pov

Today marks the final day of the webinar, and tomorrow I'll be heading back to India. Everything seems fine here except for this strange, restless feeling brewing inside me. I can't quite pinpoint the cause of this sensation or whether it's good or bad, so I try to push it to the back of my mind.

As I get ready, I decide to head down to the hotel cafeteria for breakfast. However, on my way, I hear some commotion from the garden area on my floor.

Curious, I make my way there and witness a girl throwing a vase towards a boy, narrowly missing his head. Although the vase lands near me, I don't flinch as it wasn't aimed at me.

Suddenly, the boy sneaks up behind me, seeking refuge from the girl. I find myself frozen, unable to look away from her. It's not creepy; it's as if something is compelling me to keep my gaze fixed on her.

She's of average height, with fair skin and dark brown, slightly curly hair that falls to her waist. Despite not fitting the mold of a perfect figure, she looks stunning in her black pencil skirt and white crop top, accentuating her curves perfectly. There's no denying her breathtaking beauty.

Before anyone can react, the boy's voice snaps me out of my trance. Just then, another voice interrupts, causing both of them to tense up. Following their gaze, I see a lady standing nearby, appearing older but still retaining a certain allure.

"Hey prabhu, bacha le, tujhe pure 11 rupaiye chadhaunga main", as I stood there, amused by his stingy attempt to bargain with fate for just eleven rupees, their conversation shifted to the woman who appeared to be the girl's mother.

But why was I lingering there, eavesdropping on their dialogue, when I had intended to leave? Before I could act on my plan, I caught the girl's gaze, noticing her narrowed eyes signaling something to me. It seemed clear: she wanted me to leave. So, I made the decision to depart. However, before I could make my exit, the woman's next words stopped me in my tracks.

"So, he's the one you've chosen, Kiara. Not a bad choice, 8 out of 10 in looks," she remarked, directing her gaze towards me. Wait, were they discussing me? I glanced around, searching for any other presence nearby, but found none. It was undeniable; they were indeed talking about me. Did she just rate my appearance?

"Aren't you going to greet me, young man?" she questioned, deepening my confusion. Why should I greet her? Did I know her, or did she know me? Before I could gather my thoughts or respond, the girl hurried towards me, linking her arm with mine.

"Baby, meet our mom... Mom, meet my boyfriend," she introduced, leaving me utterly bewildered. Baby? Mom? Boyfriend? What on earth was she saying?

"Your name?" the lady inquired, but I was so overwhelmed by the bewildering situation that I stood there dumbfounded.

"Just tell her your name, please," she whispered softly. I blinked several times, gazing at her, and, spurred on by her pleading eyes, I complied.

"Dr. Veer Malhotra," I uttered, and her response, whether genuine or not, lit up her face with a lovely smile, stirring something within me.

"Kiara, tumhara boyfriend mere se milkar khush nahi lag raha? Lag raha hai jaise use bahut bada shock laga ho, mujhe yaha dekh kar," she remarked, her gaze fixed on me with a calculating look. Yes, aunty, a shock indeed, but not the one you're thinking of.

"N..nahi mom, aisa nahi hai. Dekho, vo thoda sharmila nature ka hai... toh pehli baar aapko dekh kar sharma raha hai... Sahi hai na?" she explained, then glanced at me, raising her eyebrows. She shifted her eyes towards her mom, as if asking me to agree with her, and like a good boy, I nodded along.

"Haan," I said, not sure what else to say or do, not even understanding what's happening around me. Why do I feel like such a dumb person right now? I glanced at the other boy, whom I assumed to be Samar when the lady referred to him as such, and boy, he was just mirroring my expression. It's like he had seen some alien or something. His widened eyes locked onto our linked arms, with his mouth slightly agape.

"Maa, aap ek kaam karo. Aap apne kamre mein jaaiye, fresh ho jaaiye, aur phir hum breakfast table par milenge... vahaan aramse baith kar baat karenge ha?" she suggested, to which the lady nodded.

"Samar, maa ko humaare penthouse le jaao," she instructed, but that boy was still in his shock zone, not listening.

"Samar!" she shouted loudly.

"Huhh.." he startled before composing himself and passed a nervous smile to the lady.

"Take mamma to the penthouse. I'll come in a few minutes," she said, and then they both left from there. I jerked my hand away from her, taking a step back, but before I could say anything, she held my hand.

"Please come with me... Main sab batati hun," she said, dragging me along. My attention, however, was fixed on our intertwined hands. Her small palm fit perfectly in my large one.

I shifted my gaze away from our joined hands when I felt our movement stop. Looking around, I realized we were in a secluded area near the poolside, away from prying eyes.

"Please, please be my boyfriend," she pleaded, shocking me.

"Excuse me? Pagal ho kya behen?" I blurted out, immediately regretting my words. Oh god, did I just call her sister? I really need to stop sister-zoning every girl I meet.

"Aee behen kis ko bola?" she yelled, offended.

"Ah, no sorry... I mean no... Ugh... Mera matlab hai, kaun ho tum? Aur woh sab kya tha?" I asked, trying to ignore the fact that I just called her sister. How stupid of me, but it's not entirely my fault, okay?

"Dekho, hi hello... Mera intro kya mera pura biodata tumhe de dungi badme, lekin please ab meri madat karo aur thodi der ke liye mera boyfriend ban jao," she said desperately.

"Arre, par kyun? Na jaan na pehchan main tera mehmaan? Aise kaise tumhara boyfriend ban jau," maine kaha, ab mujhe thoda irritate hona shuru ho raha tha.

"Agar tum abhi mere boyfriend nahi banoge, toh woh aurat, jise tumne abhi dekha hai, woh tumhe aur mujhe dono ko kaccha chaba jayegi... please, let me borrow you as my boyfriend," she said, her tone filled with fear.

"Heyyy, I am not a thing to borrow," I said, offended.

"Arre yaar, tum words par mat jao, emotions samjho na," she said, done with the discussion.

"Tumne naam kya bola apna?" she asked.

"Wow, why, baby? Don't you know the name of your boyfriend?" I teased. Why am I having mood swings? In the span of 5 minutes, I went from shocked to confused, unsettled, irritated, to teasing.

"Mujhe pata hota tu, toh main tumhe kyun poochti," she replied innocently, and I sighed. Why am I melting looking at her face?

"Dr. Veer Malhotra, naam toh suna hoga?" I asked.

"Nahi," Ouchh.

"See, Veer, please help me. I really need your help. I'll explain everything in detail later, but for now, please keep up the act with me," she pleaded genuinely.

"And what will I get in return for helping you?" I asked, folding my arms and raising my eyebrows.

"Kaise aadmi ho yaar, ek Hindustani hokar, ek Hindustani ki madat nahi kar sakte is anjaan shahar mein," she said dramatically.

"Ohh really?"

"Please na yrr veeru," she pleaded, blinking her eyes and giving me her best look, which melted me like a candle.

I continued to watch her, and my hand instinctively reached for the locket of Durga Maa around my neck, holding onto it. Something inside me shifted, urging me to help her, whether willingly or unwillingly. I decided to help her.

"Fine," I grumbled, rolling my eyes dramatically... Little did I realize, I was about to step on a banana peel of my own making.