CHAPTER - 8

Veer's Pov

As I sat inside the lavish Agnihotri private jet, as per Ritika aunty's instructions, my mind was a whirlwind of conflicting emotions.

People say lending a hand is noble, but meddling in others affairs is another story, I mused silently. Initially, I had only intended to quietly attend a webinar before heading home, but now, unexpectedly, I found myself stuck in the company of a crazy mother and daughter duo. Bhala karne ke chakkar main, yaha toh mera hi bura hogaya.

Anxiety began to creep over me as I settled into my seat, awaiting takeoff. My legs trembled, and I repeatedly wiped my sweaty palms on my pants, trying to steady myself.

"You really need to stop shaking your legs, it's quite irritating," Kiara whispered irritably from beside me. I glanced at her, nervously licking my lips and wiping my palms again. She frowned at me.

"Why are you sweating?" she inquired, and I hastily wiped the perspiration from my forehead with the back of my hand.

"It's nothing, just feeling warm in here," I replied, attempting to dismiss it, though she seemed unconvinced.

"Really?" she queried with a sly smile, clearly skeptical.

"I'm claustrophobic. Sitting in closed spaces for longer time makes me anxious," I confessed, sighing.

"Oh. But I'm pretty sure this isn't your first time traveling, right? Then?" she asked, looking puzzled.

"Well, actually, I only travel using our private jet. So whenever I do, I simply sleep through the flight with sleeping pills to avoid my anxiety. But today is different. I can't do that," I explained, idly toying with the pendant around my neck. When she remained silent for a whole minute, I glanced at her, prompting her to speak. I half-expected her to mock me or make fun, but her response surprised me.

She intertwined her pinky finger with mine left hands pinky finger, which rested on my thigh, and placed our hands on her lap. I looked at her with wide eyes, her gesture stirring something indescribable in my heart. Without a word, she closed her eyes, earpods in place. Slowly, a gentle smile spread across my face. Suddenly, my heart felt lighter, my anxiety gradually fading. I, too, closed my eyes with a contented smile, resting my head against the seat, unaware of when sleep enveloped me.

.

.

.

Time flies by swiftly, and now I find myself standing in front of Malhotra mansion with Kiara, her mother. Taking a deep breath, I turn towards them.

"Please come," I gesture, inviting them to enter. Nodding, Radhika aunty leads the way inside, followed by all of us.

As soon as I step inside, my gaze falls on Dad seated with someone, engaged in lively conversation. He looks genuinely happy.

"Papa," I call out, and their attention shifts towards us. Dad stands up, grinning widely at me, and with swift steps, I move towards him, embracing him tightly.

"How are you, Papa?" I inquire as soon as we part from the hug.

"I'm good, son, but I have a feeling you won't be after some time," he says, winking at me before turning towards Radhika aunty. But before that, his gaze falls on Kiara, and something flickers in his eyes, disappearing almost instantly, leaving me wondering if it was there at all. He looks at her for a moment, which makes Kiara slightly awkward, and she offers a hesitant smile, joining her hands in a greeting. Finally, Dad returns the smile and lovingly taps her head.

He then embraces aunty, and they exchange greetings. I learn that the man is Sanjay Agnihotri, Kiara's father. During our conversation, I discover that Dad, Radhika aunty, and Sanjay uncle are old classmates, and Sanjay uncle and Radhika aunty had a love marriage. Soon, they excuse themselves to the study room for an important discussion, and Dad asks me to take Kiara to my room until they're done. I hesitantly nod in agreement.