𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐕𝐄

꧁꧂

꧁꧂

Alliny always wanted (Y/N) to be stronger.

    To be like a man.

    (Y/N) knew such askings were wrong as she grew up, and knew her mother was sick and had been for a very long time, but she just couldn't bear to see the heartbreak that would surely have shown if she revealed her true gender. However, (Y/N) dreamed of moving and living somewhere where they only knew her as female.

    She wanted to wear make up.

    Wear a dress, maybe.

    Be a girl for once.

    Binding her chest was easy, but it was always a lie since she didn't want to live as a man.

    Not always, of course.

    It was true it was simpler to lie, as the world still viewed women as lesser individuals, but she knew some of the villages, especially the ones farther from the capital and palace, were more equal in their standings of how they viewed genders.

    This world is so... biased.

    (Y/N) felt crestfallen as she returned the cleaning supplies she had borrowed back to the closet, then picking out a straw broom to use to clean up the courtyard—her next chore. Weaving through the main hall, she then stepped outside after pushing open two glass double doors to breath in the fresh, crisp air. Yet, she then wilted when seeing how littered the courtyard was with leaves, the fall season bringing an abundance.

    Only about a couple minutes in to her task did she stop do the sudden murmur of voices that were approaching her.

    Blinking in modest apprehension, she cleared her throat before setting back to work, flicking her eyes up every now and then before they finally settled on who was coming toward her: the King. She had seen his posters and had seen him in celebratory parades long enough to know what he looked like, but it was who was beside him that drew her in.

    That's... the Prince.

    Adrian, the young man standing next to the King, was handsome in every aspect. His silver hair was groomed perfectly to frame his face and sharp jawline, accentuating his cold, amber eyes that looked hard enough to cut jade. His soft brown skin looked like it had been kissed by the sun, his defined form easily seen through the royal attire of a silk vest and dark pants he donned.

    (Y/N) was mesmerized by the man's beauty, having never seen him before in person, and only had Banco's words to go upon for personality.

    Yet, he didn't look tyrannical.

    In fact, quite the opposite.

    Feeling her breathing slow from taking in the sight of the two royals, she found it amusing how less than a day ago, she would never have even thought of being this close to them, but here she was, no more than a several feet away from them. Snapping herself out of her thoughts as she knew staring would be considering highly rude and inappropriate, she turned her back towards them and re-began her task, wanting to seem as inconspicuous as possible. She assumed they wouldn't bother with another servant, so she swept normally, the straw of the broom scraping loudly against the cobbled stone, yet she paying not mind to it until a throat was cleared behind her.

    She almost dropped said broom she was so startled, turning to find both Adrian and the King standing there with equal, quizzical looks.

    "Your Majesty, Your Highness, I greet the Higher and Lower Suns of the Empire," (Y/N) bowed lowly before them considering they had addressed her first, hoping she had correctly said the greeting that Basile had taught all new servants. "Pardon my intrusion on your morning, as I was completing my task of sweeping the courtyard."

    "You work here?" Adrian questioned her, his stare boring into her form.

    "Yes, Your Highness."

    "I know every face that works within my palace, but I don't know yours," he continued, his tone holding a sharp and threatening edge to it.

    "I was hired yesterday by Mr. Oman."

    "I see," Adrian lifted his chin. "Tell me your name and region."

    "I am (M/N)(L/N) from Andell."

    "Ah, yes," Adrian then nodded, surprising (Y/N) since she was sure he would have no idea of her name. "I recall your name from the list that Oman sent in." Stepping forward, he continued, "However, regardless if you were recently brought in or not, a servant must always be taught the basic principalities of etiquette—meaning, you must not let your King suffer disrespect when you have not shown him proper courtesy."

    "My sincere apologies, Your Highness, Your Majesty," she apologized, once more lowering into a bow in hopes of quelling Adrian's displeasure. "Since I was so busy with my duties, I lacked the care to pay attention to my surroundings, and therefore offended you with my actions—a grave mistake on my part. Please, forgive me."

    "Prince Adrian, can't you forgive this servant?" The King frowned as he stood beside his son. "Because he's new as you've stated, and you've properly educated him, we should leave him to finish his tasks, yes?"

Adrian stayed silent.

His eyes searched (Y/N)'s figure, as if trying to see if she was somehow lying.

After all, he was so very used to betrayal.

"Of course, Father," he then uttered as he stepped back, still continuing to stare at (Y/N) even as he began to walk away with his father. "Remember what I said, (M/N)(L/N) from Andell... do not forget my words."

"Yes, Your Highness."

Waiting with bated breath until both Adrian and the King were gone, (Y/N) let out a sigh of relief when they disappeared out of sight. Straightening out of her bow, she stared after them for only a moment more before she shook her head and continued on with her task of sweeping the courtyard, finishing in record time and leaving it completely void of any debris.

I need to be more careful from now on.

They know my face and name.

If I step out of line, if I don't show proper courtesy, I could very well end up dead.

꧁꧂