𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍

꧁꧂

꧁꧂

    "Hey, (M/N), what was your life like before coming here?" Aadon randomly questioned one morning, the two alone working on the library's glass windows while Zaahir, Claude, and Dañero were out looking for supplies. "Now that I think about it, we don't hear much about your life."

(Y/N) stayed silent.

"You don't have to talk about it," he shrugged. "I was just wondering."

"Ah, no, it's fine," she was quick to snap herself from her stupor. "I just wasn't expecting the question. I... actually try not to think about it. I didn't exactly leave my home the happiest."

"Oh..." he nodded his head in understanding.

    A short wave of solemnity washed over the space as Aadon fixed the glass inside the window pane, the brilliant greens and golds lighting up with the sun and making the colors look brighter, casting their sparkle down to the polished marble floor. Silence settled between the two, the mood heavy and somber even. Flashes of memories from her mother's death to her best friend flew through (Y/N)'s mind, keeping her down in chain like grasps.

"Sorry," she then exhaled, stopping her hand that held the tool that spread the sticky substance along the edges of the stone.

"About what?" Aadon hummed.

"I didn't mean to... bring the mood down."

"Ah, no worries," he chuckled lightly as he wiped down the slight substance that clung to the surface with a rag. "I didn't mean to push, nor did I mean to pry. But, if you want to talk, I'm here."

    "Thanks," she mumbled.

    "Of course."

    Before anything more between (Y/N) and Aadon could be said, the chatter of Claude, Zaahir, and Dañero filled the once quiet room—Claude was once again making fun of Zaahir and his one-sided love for the Princess, whole Dañero piped up every now and again with a snarky comment. The lively banter that had been taken away started up again, however as much as they messed around, they all made sure to complete their workload for the day. Just as they were putting the finishing touches on the roof so they could move on to the interior, Zaahir's eye caught on something in the distance towards the main palace that almost made him fall.

    "Woah!" (Y/N) exclaimed as she helped steady him, having been working beside him. "Zaahir, are you okay?"

    "Y-Yeah," he stuttered, his brown skin seeming to pale a few shades after almost falling the several stories to the hard ground, though his focus still distracted by what had caught his eye.

"What is it?" She questioned whilst also looking in the same direction, straining to focus in the fading light until she spotted Adrian, Seraph, and Kandef all making their way down the cobbled path toward the unfinished building. "Aadon, Claude, Danny!" Raising her voice to call the other men, she continued. "The royal family is here!"

    "Thanks for the heads-up, (M/N)!" Aadon called back in a hurry.

    (Y/N) rushed towards the wooden lift with Zaahir right behind her pulling and slackening the rope to bring them toward the ground. Aadon, Claude, and Dañero were right behind them. Dusting off anything they could besides the paint that they had been using now stuck to their overalls, they walked through the bright green grass toward the royals that were waiting for them. Kandef and Seraph both looked impressed from the gleaming, almost finished building while Adrian looked impassive to the entire situation. Delana nor Basile were anywhere to be seen, yet no one questioned their absences as it was likely both were busy attending to other duties.

(Y/N) stayed somewhat behind Aadon and Claude, the tallest of the workers, to try and negate unawares attention from any of the three royals.

    Unfortunately, luck was not on her side.

"(M/N)!" Seraph called out as soon as she saw her, picking up the folds of her dress and hurrying to meet her, her heels clicking against the pathway. "I missed you! Father wouldn't let me see you since you were still working, but he allowed me to today since the exterior is pretty much finished!" Throwing her hands around (Y/N)'s neck, ignoring the way she stiffened, Seraph continued, "Thank you for making my library! It's wonderful!"

    (Y/N) stared straight ahead.

    Why couldn't the Princess leave me alone since everyone's watching?

    And Zaahir... now I feel bad for him.

"Seraph," Kandef spoke up, motioning with his hand for her to resume her place beside him and her brother. "It's not wise to embrace a person below you like that in such public places."

    With furrowed brows, disappointed that she had to part from (Y/N), Seraph reluctantly did as her father told her and moved back to stand beside him—of course, not without blowing a kiss her way. Coughing uncomfortably, trying to ignore the almost withering glare Zaahir sent her way, along with the confused glances from the other workers, (Y/N) steadied herself as Kandef once again began speaking.

"You've all made some impressive work, gentlemen," he further commented as he stared up at the imposing marble building, a vast contrast to the dark castle. "I'm quite pleased."

"Thank you, sire," Aadon lowered his head, a smile painting his handsome features.

Just as the King parted his lips to speak, he cut himself off when a groan instead escaped, an arrow piercing his shoulder and making him slump to the ground in pain. Almost immediately, Adrian jumped in front of his father with a deadly glare to his amber eyes while Zaahir and Claude moved to protect Seraph. Both Aadon and (Y/N) moved to the front, their eyes pinned to the tree line where the arrow had come from.

"Everyone, stay down!" (Y/N) yelled, trying to put as much distance between the royals and the forest. "We're under attack!"

 "We're under attack!"

꧁꧂