𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄

꧁꧂

꧁꧂

    "It seems my sister had become... charmed by you," Adrian uttered—seemingly in disbelief—as he walked with (Y/N) towards a destination she knew not. "It's particularity upsetting since you are a servant employed under my name."

"I apologize for what has occurred, Your Highness," (Y/N) spoke, her (E/C) eyes narrowing. "It was an error in judgement."

"So it was."

(Y/N) waited for him to say something more.

He didn't.

Until, "I can tell what you're thinking."

"Pardon?"

"As someone in your position, it would not be wise to reject Seraph's advances outright as it can be seen as an act of defiance, but that does not mean you are allowed to take and use her feelings to your advantage," Adrian continued with a tilt of his chin upwards, his silver hair shifting with the action. "Especially when it will lead you nowhere."

"I assure you, my liege, you do not need to worry," she said, finding the situation quite ridiculous as a woman disguised as a man. "I would never disgrace the Princess in such a way."

"I am not worried."

(Y/N) turned away from him.

"What concerns me is how she acts when finding another man to set her sight on," he then muttered, stopping in the middle of a familiar, grandiose hall that let her know he had led her to his bedroom—what for, she didn't know, hoping that he would merely disappear inside without needing her assistance. "She becomes transfixed on those she fancies. It's unhealthy, and it's concerning to me both as a family member, and a delegate of this country."

"I understand, Your Highness," (Y/N) bowed. "I will do my best so I stay out of her sight."

"Seraph is not one to give up easily."

"Neither am I."

Adrian's hand halted over the handle of his door, staring down at (Y/N) in mild surprise. It was obvious he hadn't expected to hear such words from her, but then again, instead of looking irritated, he looked quite the opposite—more so, he looked intrigued, if anything.

"Ah, there you are, (M/N)(L/N)," a sudden voice declared, (Y/N) turning to spot Basile striding towards her. "And Your Highness, I greet the Lower Sun of the Empire." After giving a short bow, Basile straightened and once more transfixed his gaze on (Y/N) to say, "I ask that you follow me. The King's decision was quite clear, meaning you behind your punishment immediately."

Flicking his hand, Basile gestured for (Y/N) to follow him, which she did without question.

Without looking back at Adrian, ignoring his stare that lingered for a moment before disappearing, she walked silently with Basile towards their destination. Exiting the main palace entirely, they entered the courtyard, passing through richly tended gardens filled with perfectly tended lawns, shrubs, and flower bushes towards a halfway-constructed building, the marble stonework practically gleaming in the sun's ever reaching rays.

"This is where you will be working," Basile announced as he pushed his glasses up.

"Wow..." (Y/N) murmured, clearing in awe. "This is impressive. How long did it take for the library to be completed this much?"

"Almost two months."

"Then I suppose it should be finished this month in time for the Princess's birthday?"

"That is correct," Basile replied briskly, once again folding his hands behind his back as the two lead workers approached the pair.

The one on the left was a large man of almost six feet, his dark skin gleaming with sweat that complimented his equally dark, smoldering eyes. The man on the right was a bit shorter than his companion, but not by much, having lighter blue eyes and a fairer complexion that was just as drenched from the pounding heat.

"Advisor Oman," the taller of the two workers greeted, running a hand down his bound dreadlocks. "What can I do for you, sir?"

"This man will be assisting you for the remaining time it'll take to finish this task, that being a month, in any way shape or form," Basile began while gesturing towards (Y/N), the girl giving a small greeting when the workers' eyes were drawn to her. "The King himself assigned the task so I implore you, make him work. Maybe harder than the others, as it is a punishment."

With a curt nod, he then walked away.

(Y/N) stared after him.

He didn't have to add that last bit...

"Muscles small," the second worker spoke up, his voice a bit raspy. "We fix."

"Hold on, Danny," the other laughed, rolling his eyes at his work partner. "First let's introduce ourselves." Turning toward (Y/N) with a smile, he held out his hand to shake her own firmly whilst proclaiming, "The name's Aadon Mullins. This guy right here is Dañero Carilla, but he prefers being called Danny. And you are?"

"Ah, (M/N)(L/N)," she returned his smile. "It's nice to meet you."

"Same here, now let's get you to work," Aadon chuckled as he pat (Y/N) on the back before gesturing with his head towards the building.

Even though it was practically almost dark out, the sun slowly setting behind the clouds and casting an orange glow along the skyline, it was still considered early. Therefore, the workers continued to hammer in nails, set cement, carve marble, and anything else needed to complete a day's work. They were used to such lifestyle, and they knew it was worth it considering how fairly paid they were.

Although the work was hard on (Y/N), like all labor, she became used to it after a few hours.

Even Aadon commented on that, impressed.

Eventually, the day dwindled to a close, and (Y/N) was able to retire back to her room for the evening with little in the way of cuts and bruises despite the harsh work she was undergoing. Eating a plain meal of meat and vegetables and washing herself in secrecy, she finally collapsed onto her bed.

Staring at the ceiling, she sighed.

Today was way too long.

Flopping onto her side and closing her eyes, she promptly fell asleep.

꧁꧂