8

Taraji looked at herself again in the full-length mirror on the hotel room wall. She pulled her hair back into a ponytail. Her jeans were creased, loose-fitting but still very professional. She opted for one of Mckenna's polo shirts that somehow ended up in her luggage. Her eyes weren't as red or puffy as they were a few hours earlier. She had popped two Tylenol, which helped tremendously. Taraji sighed. It was five till show time.

She walked out of her room. She looked at the numbers on each door. Taraji wondered where Fantasia was. She wondered if she was in one of the rooms in the hotel. She made a mental note to check with the front desk before leaving.

Taraji spotted Mariah's red hair immediately. She noticed a small, white man dressed in a pair of jeans and a blazer chatting with Mariah. From the two pink cocktails sitting in front of them and his crossed legs, Taraji could tell he was family.

Mariah noticed Taraji out of her peripheral. She said something to the gentleman and stood up. Mariah walked over to Taraji. A big smile radiated from her face.
Taraji noticed Mariah's thick legs.
"Taraji, you made it. Great! Come over. There's someone I want you to meet."

They walked over to the gentleman, now sipping his cocktail. "Marco, this is who I was telling you about," Mariah said, holding on to Taraji's arm. Marco turned and looked Taraji up and down. His eyes widened, and his right lip slanted up. "Well, well, well ... Mariah, you never do me wrong. She's fabulous." Marco put his right hand over his face. "Hello, I'm Taraji." Taraji extended her hand. Marco placed his fingers in her hand. "My pleasure. Please have a seat."

Mariah and Taraji sat down at the table. "So, Taraji, tell me, have you done any modeling?"
"Modeling?" Taraji said, shocked by the question.
"No, she hasn't," Mariah stepped in. "Which is perfect, 'cause she's your undiscovered superstar."
"I like it. She is stunning. We can try it, test her and see what comes from it. Can you have her at the studio tomorrow morning, by seven?"
"She will be there."
Marco stood up from the table.

Taraji felt dumbfounded. She listened as they mapped out details, discussing her as though she wasn't sitting next to them. Mariah and Marco gave each other a Hollywood hug and fake kiss on each cheek. Marco looked at Taraji one more time. "Fabulous. Simply fabulous." He walked away as his cell phone began to ring.

Mariah waited until Marco was out of the front door. She turned around toward Taraji and squealed. "This is amazing! I told you I would take care of you!"
"Mariah, what's going on? I'm not a model."
"I know, but you can be. You have the look and you are on your way to landing a serious contract." Mariah grabbed her bag.

Taraji was hesitant. "Mariah, I don't know about this. I'm not a model. I can't walk in heels. I don't wear dresses."
"Denise, come with me." Mariah began to walk out of the bar. She turned around and looked at Taraji, still confused and still sitting in her chair. "Well, are you coming?"
Taraji got up and followed.

Taraji and Mariah walked down the busy Times Square. Taraji admired the view. It was beautiful, but dirtier than she'd always imagined. Stands filled with I Love NY merchandise, hot dog stands and more lined the streets. Tourists covered in New York paraphernalia took pictures of famous buildings.

Taraji noticed the large picture of Jay-Z. She smiled, thinking about Mckenna, who loved anything Jay-Z.
"Well, we're here." Mariah stood in the middle of the
street. "Where is here exactly?" Taraji said, surveying her surroundings. Mariah threw her hands up. "Here, the heart of the city. Look around, do you see all these billboards. Fashion, music, movies, TV.. all meet right here." Mariah smiled. "Look over there." Mariah pointed at a long billboard ad for Jocku Couture.

"Yeah. What about it?"
"Taraji that could be you in a matter of weeks. I was talking to Marco and he was stressing about his campaign. He wasn't happy with the look and wanted something else. I knew you would be perfect." Mariah squealed.