24

"You are gonna love this," Mariah said as she strad-died Taraji's lap. She stuck her finger in the chocolate sauce. "Taste it." Taraji laughed as Mariah's index finger entered her mouth. "That is some serious chocolate," Taraji said as the rich taste took over her taste buds.

"Wait till you try it on those."
Mariah reached for a strawberry. She dipped the ripe fruit in the dark chocolate. She held the chocolate-dipped strawberry up. "Come and get it," she joked as some of the chocolate fell from the strawberry to her chest and rolled down her right breast. "I think I will." Taraji leaned in, licking the line of chocolate down until she reached Mariah's nipple.

The touch of her tongue excited Mariah's body, and her nipple instantly perked up. Sarah Bareilles "Gravity" echoed from Taraji's phone. Her body froze. She looked up confused. Only one person had that ringtone, Fantasia.

Mariah looked puzzled. "Do you need to get that?"
"Ummm..." Taraji looked at Mariah. She felt like a child about to get in trouble for something. Mariah's lips tightened.
"It's her, isn't it?"
"Yes."
Mariah stood up. She smiled. "Well, go answer it."
"I ... Are..."
"Taraji, you do not owe me an explanation for anything. You aren't my girlfriend, remember. Go answer the phone. It might be important."

Taraji realized the phone stopped ringing. She let out a sigh of relief and smiled. "See, it's not ringing anymore. No need."
"Taraji." Mariah ran her hands through her hair and touched Taraji's face. Softly she said, "Go call the girl back."
The new-found hunter in her wanted to ignore Fantasia and take Mariah in that spot, but the Jacob in her got her to stand up and go the room. She pressed send on her phone.

***

Fantasia listened to Taraji's voice on her voice mail.
She smiled, she missed Taraji's deep, smooth voice.
She knew the beep was coming. She took another sip of wine.
"Taraji, hey, this is umm... Tasia, but I'm sure you know that. Well, I jus ..."
Fantasia's phone beeped. She looked at the screen. Taraji's face appeared on the screen in front of her. She froze, the green answer button flashing in front of her.

Fantasia took a deep breath and pressed the button. "Hello."
Fantasia's voice sent chills down Taraji's back. "Uh, hi, Tasia, it's Ti." Fantasia's body trembled. Taraji felt butterflies starting to flutter. "You called me?" Fantasia stood up and began to pace the floor. "Yes, I, um, I did." Beyoncé's version of "Kissing You" by Desiree began to play from her stereo system, making the talk ten times harder.

"I just, it's been a while, and I wanted to call and-"
"Fantasia, can I say something first?" Taraji sat on the edge of the bed. She could hear the hurt in Fantasia's voice as she tried to get her words together. "Sure," Fantasia stopped pacing.

"Fantasia, when you came here I was in a really bad place. I had just found out I wasn't going to be playing ball and I was drunk. I said some things I really regret and I am really, really so sorry for them."
Fantasia smiled as tears began to form in her eyes. "Taraji .."
"I'm so sorry, Fantasia. I can't believe I was so mean to you. Zaria told me about what happened. I'm so sorry. I wanted to call you, but I didn't know what to say."

"Taraji, I think it's fair to say we've both done some things that we regret. I just want us to move past them." Taraji smiled. "Me too. I miss you as a friend."
Friend? The word hit Fantasia head-on.
"So is that it Ti? You only want to be my friend?" A tear fell from Fantasia's eye. Taraji's heart skipped a beat. The line was silent.

"Ti."
"Tasia." Taraji felt the knot forming in her throat. She looked up, Mariah's nude body sat on the couch, flipping through the channels. Fantasia's body entered her head. There was no comparison, Fantasia's body surpassed Mariah's in every way. But the drama that went along with Fantasia took away from all her beauty.
"I'm sorta seeing someone."