27

Mckenna's beautiful desk was covered with papers, CDs, and photos of Aaliyah. The singles were bonafide hits. She knew it had to be backed up with the best CD possible. She pressed the track button on her remote, skipping to the next possible song for the CD.

Aaliyah's voice enticed Mckenna. She fidgeted in her seat. Mckenna tried to remember the last time she had sex. She knew it was too long. She needed some and she needed some bad. Aaliyah's pictures didn't help the situation. Her smooth caramel skin, round ass and plump breasts were calling to Mckenna, and she wanted to answer. A slow knock on the door brought her out of her sexual trance.
"Come in!" Mckenna shifted in her chair.

The door opened slowly. Tey walked in slowly.
"What's up, Tey?" Mckenna noticed the pained expression on Tey's face. Her eyes red and puffy, her lips pressed tight together. "What's wrong?"
"Kenna," Tey's voice trembled, "I'm so sorry."
Mckenna stood up. She walked from behind her desk.
"What is going on?" Mckenna's phone began to blare. She picked the phone up and checked her messages.
R.I.P Keisha "KP" Palmer. So So Def has lost a family member today. KP you will always be loved and missed.

Mckenna held her phone tight. The text blurred. she couldn't move. "What happened?" Tey strugsled to respond.
"She... she ODd" Tears began to fall from Tey's face.
Mckenna fought the tears back. "I need a moment.
close door behind you," Mckenna said, never looking
up from her screen. Tey immediately obeyed.

It felt like a bus crashed into Mckenna. Her legs felt weak. She sat on the edge of her desk. Mckenna closed her eyes, trying to block the images of KP running through her head. She could see her so vividly, the last time they saw each other, KP's frail state. This is all my fault. Tears streamed down Mckenna's face. She knew the news must have hit everyone.

Her phone started to blare back to back. She couldn't pick it up; she couldn't face anyone. Guilt took over her body, as the images of KP played like a movie in her brain.
Mckenna didn't hear the door open. Aaliyah walked in, her makeup flawed with streaks from her overflowing tears. Aaliyah walked over to Mckenna. She put her palm on Mckenna's shoulder.

Mckenna didn't look up. Aaliyah's hand was like a magnet, bringing the emotions all the way to the surface. Mckenna leaned into Aaliyah. Aaliyah wrapped her arms around Mckenna. "It's my fault, it's all my fault," Mckenna cried.
"No, baby, it's not." Aaliyah held her in her arms, rocking her gently. "I shouldn't have pushed her. I pushed her. Oh God. Why! Why!" Mckenna's voice cracked. She wrapped her arms around Aaliyah. Aaliyah was only the second woman to see her cry. She held on to her, not wanting to let go.

"Mckenna, it's not your fault. She wouldn't want you blaming yourself. You did what you could. You were a friend to her, she knows that. Don't do this to yourself.
Come on, baby, don't do this." Mckenna looked up at Aaliyah. Aaliyah's big brown eyes widened.
"I'm sorry, I didn't." Mckenna put her index finger up to Aaliyah's soft plump lips.

Mckenna gazed into Aaliyah's beautiful eyes. She ran her fingers through Aaliyah's wavy hair. She looked at Mckenna with a confused glare. Mckenna slowly pulled Aaliyah's face to hers. Their lips gently met. Aaliyah parted her lips, allowing Mckenna's tongue to enter into a passionate dance. Aaliyah held on to Mckenna's T-shirt, wrinkling the fabric with the imprint of her fingers.

Mckenna's hand rubbed through Aaliyah's long hair, letting her fingers roam freely down her scalp. Mckenna slowly pulled her face from Aaliyah's. "I need you," Mckenna whispered. Aaliyah nodded her head.
"Anything, baby. Need me, let me be there for you.
Mckenna, just let me love you," Aaliayah pleaded, her eyes filled with water. Mckenna wiped the first tear to fall down Aaliyah's face.

***

Taraji sat in the hallway. She looked at the row of gorgeous women sitting around her, all holding their portfolios tight. Go-see appointments never seemed so long and boring on America's Next Top Model. Taraji looked at the women around her. She could see the drive and determination in their eyes, drive that she didn't have.