15

"Mrs. Taylor!" Rosario ran into the bedroom. She shook Fantasia. "Mrs. Taylor, Mrs. Taylor!" The older Hispanic woman continued to shake until Fantasia's head moved.
"Whhhaaa," Fantasia murmured, shaking her head.
"Mrs. Taylor, why are you on the floor. Is everything all right? Do I need to call the doctor?" Fantasia looked at Rosario's frightened face. "What time is it?"
"It's noon, Mrs. Taylor. Maybe I should call the doctor or Mr. Taylor."

"No, I'm fine. Just help me up." Fantasia held her arms up while the housekeeper helped her to her feet. Fantasia glanced over, catching her reflection in the mirror. Her eyes were blood-shot, and her hair was tussled all over her head. "I guess I just fell asleep."
"You broke a glass. I cleaned it up in the hallway. Are you sure you are all right?"
"Define all right?"
"I... I don't understand." The short Hispanic woman looked confused.

Fantasia noticed how neat her hair was, pulled back in a perfect bun. "Rosario thanks for cleaning up the mess.
I'll be OK. Take the day off, with pay."
Rosario, didn't budge. "I don't know if that is a good idea Mrs. Taylor."
"Oh, I am fine. I just had a rough night. T'll be OK. 1 promise. If I have any problems, I'll call Kendall."
"Are you sure?" Rosario asked, hoping for a yes so she could enjoy some free time.

"I'm sure. I think I'll go shopping or something."
"But what about baby?"
"What!" Fantasia's head jerked. "Oh shit, Kash."
Fantasia hit her forehead with her palm.
"Yes, ma'am. Babysitter supposed to bring him home any minute."
Fantasia sighed. "OK, can you call and find out if they can keep him another day or two? Doesn't matter the cost."

Rosario nodded her head and walked out the room. Fantasia walked over to her mirror. She pulled her brush out and began to stroke her hair. She didn't like her image. Her face looked worn, like she'd aged in one night.
"She said that is fine. They will bill regular," Rosario stated, standing in the door.
"Thank you, Rosario. You can leave now." Fantasia continued to brush her hair as the housekeeper disappeared.

Fantasia walked across her bathroom and ran a tub filled
with hot water. She pressed a button, causing jets of bubbles to come from the tub. Fantasia undressed and slowly
stepped into the large Jacuzzi tub and laid back, allowing the steam rising from the bath to create a mist. The phone began to ring. She looked over to see Zaria's number lighting up on the LED screen. Fantasia pressed the intercom button on the wall.
"Hi, Z."
"Heeeyyyy, honey. How are you?" Zaria's attempt at a concerned voice humored Fantasia.

"I don't really know. I feel. I really don't know what I feel."
Zaria took a sip of her water. "That's to be expected. I wanted to see if you wanted to come see my new place. Maybe we could grab a bite to eat or something."
"Actually I would. I can't stand being in this house much longer. I'm taking a bath now. I'll call when I get out, so I can get directions."
"Great." Zaria hung the phone up.

Fantasia dipped her head under the water. The sound of the bubbles was soothing to her. She held her breath and wondered how long she could hold it. As her chest started to grow heavy, Fantasia came up from under the water. She released the breath she was holding. It felt like she released all of her pain at the same time. She looked over at her reflection in the mirror. She looked better already. She was ready to start her steps toward recovery.

Fantasia pulled into the apartment complex. She smiled when she saw Zaria standing on the balcony smiling back at her. She stepped out of the car, the hot sun soothing her.
"Hey, Tasia." Zaria waved frantically.
"Hey, Zaria!" Fantasia smiled as she headed up the stairs.
"Hey, Tasia, baby." Nic stood in the door watching Fantasia come up, Nic's long wavy hair hung down her almost to the middle of her back.
"Oh my God, how long are you letting your hair get?" Fantasia said as Nic wrapped her arms around her. Nic's tall frame seemed massive next to Fantasia's short body.

"Girl, I'm about to cut it. It was a dare between Z and me. She wanted to see how long it could get."
"No, the hell, you aren't." Zaria hit Nic as Fantasia walked into the house. "But I am kinda tired of all your hair being in the bed. Hey, girl." Zaria hugged Fantasia.
Fantasia looked around the living room. "Wow! This is nice. Good job, Z."
"Thanks, girl. I mean, it's not your house, but it will do for now."
They walked into the bare apartment. They sat on a small sofa covered with a red couch cover and big black and red pillows.

"Well, this is comfortable. Where did you get it?"
Fantasia's body sank into the plush couch. Zaria smirked. "Girl, from Craigslist. I saw it on the curb notice. It was from Dland, so I knew it couldn't be that bad. Girl, y'all rich people are crazy. She had put so much stuff out. There wasn't anything wrong with the couch but the awful color and a tear in the back fabric. I hit Marshalls and bought this cover, and it was all she wrote."
Fantasia smiled at her friend's happiness.
"Zaria, you are so silly."

"I'm serious. My mama taught me one thing, one person's trash is another person's treasure."
"I know that's right." Nic walked by and kissed Zaria on her forehead. Zaria blushed. Fantasia loved seeing Nic and Zaria together.
"So, Z, what do you want to do today?"
"Well, maybe we can go look at furniture. See if you see anything."
Zaria looked at Lena. "Are you sure? 'Cause I'm down for whatever you want to do."

Fantasia smiled. "I think it's a great idea. I need to get you a house-warming present."
"Well, let's do it." Zaria smiled. She was OK with second-hand things, but she couldn't help but enjoy the idea of
getting one really nice item from Fantasia.mNic walked out of the kitchen.
"OK, can you not spend my whole paycheck please?"
"I won't." Zaria and Nic kissed. Fantasia smiled. She wondered what Taraji was doing at that moment. Fantasia's cheery disposition was fading quickly. Zaria
noticed Fantasia's dreary face. "Well, girl, let's get out of here and have some real fun."

"Zaria, you know I really admire your relationship with Nicole. It must be nice." Fantasia stared out the window of her BMW while Zaria drove.
"Girl, I can't lie. It's wonderful. But you know what? I went through a whole lot before I found her. So, trust me, you are going through some tough times now, but things are going to get better."
"I hope so. I don't see how they could get worse."
"Well, you know what they say, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger."
Fantasia smiled. She turned back to look out the window. Mary Mary's rendition of "Yesterday" began to play on through her speakers.

"I'm starting to think my iPod has a mind, because it sure does know what to play at the right time."
Zaria laughed.
"Or maybe God is trying to tell you something."
The two looked at each other. Fantasia put her hand on top of Zaria's. "Maybe you are right. Well, God, I'm listening. Whatever you want to tell me I'm listening." She closed her eyes and listened to the words. Fantasia took a deep breath. It was time to forget about yesterday and focus on today.