18

Mckenna got in the taxi and handed a small piece of paper to the Indian cab driver. "Can you take me to this address?"
She turned down the invitation from Mariah and Denise to go to Avenue Q with them. She let them talk her into going to see The Lion King the night before. Mckenna had to admit, The Lion King was a lot better than she expected, but the thought of watching puppets sing crazy songs just wasn't appealing to her.

Mckenna received the call she had been waiting on. Teyanna called with the address and phone number for KP.
After a long conversation, she knew it was time for her to step in. She looked out the window. She would have to enjoy Harlem another day. They pulled up to the tall apartment building. Mckenna looked up at the numbers on the wall. She was there. She paid the cab driver and got out of the car.

Mckenna pressed the buzzer for apartment 506. Instantly a buzzing noise echoed, and she heard the lock unlatch. She walked into the building. The hallway of the building had an old smell to it. The paint on the walls was chipping, with tiles on the floor scuffed and broken in places. The rank smell of sweat and mildew hit her as she got into the small elevator. She tried to hold her breath until making it to the fifth floor.

She walked down the long hallway. The few working lights flickered on and off. Mckenna examined the sounds coming from the passing apartments. Someone was watching BET in apartment 501. She could hear Keyshia Cole's mother's voice clearly.

Mckenna stopped at her destination. She tried to listen. There was music coming from the apartment, but she couldn't make out the lyrics. There was a lingering smell of weed coming from under the door. She knocked twice.
Mckenna heard the various locks unlocking. The door opened. A petite woman opened the door. Mckenna knew the face, she just couldn't place it. The woman smiled, throwing her long Beyoncé curls behind when she moved her head.
"Hey, Kenna." The woman reached out. Mckenna hugged the girl, trying to remember where she knew her from.

"Hey ... ummm..."
The woman pulled back and looked at Mckenna. Mckenna could see the disappointment.
"Bee-Bee. We met at KP's house in ATL when you came last summer."
Mckenna looked at the girl for a moment. There was a familiarity to her. Her booty shorts and T-shirt were form fitting. Mckenna noticed the cursive B.B. tattooed on her leg. Mckenna smiled. It hit her.

"Oh, shit. Girl, yeah, I remember you." Mckenna hugged her again. Her model name was Bee-Bee, but around the office she was known as Brain Busta. The woman could put Super Head out of business.
"How are you doing?"
"I'm OK, trying to make it. Got some gigs lined up, doing a Nelly video soon. I might be going on this new reality show on VH1." Bee-Bee smiled and turned her face, hoping Mckenna couldn't tell she was lying. "So, you coming to get this bitch up out of my spare room or what?"

Mckenna walked into the tiny apartment. The smell of weed and incense made Mckenna feel nauseous. She never understood why people thought that was a good combination. "Where is she?" Bee-Bee frowned. "In the bedroom, watching videos, I think. I'm glad you came 'cause I was about to put her ass out."

Mckenna ignored Bee-Bee. She wanted to curse her out. KP was the reason she had anything at all. KP gave Bee-Bee her first gig in the videos. She took it and ran with it, becoming one of the million whores of the label.
"Let me go talk to her," Mckenna said, walking toward
the room. She could see the TV lights flickering from the room to the wall.

Bee-Bee grabbed Mckenna's arm. She slanted her eyes and licked her lips. "Before you do, let me take my moment to say you looking real good. I'd love the chance to see you in better circumstances. How long you gon' be in New York?"
Mckenna couldn't help but shake her head. She let out a laugh. She couldn't believe what women would do to try to get on top. "Thanks, but I'm leaving in the morning."

"Well, I'll be in ATL soon. We should hook up." Bee-Bee pushed her thick frame up against Mckenna.
"Yeah, well, have fun while you're there. Now, if you don't mind." Mckenna walked past Bee-Bee, leaving her dumbfounded in her spot.

Mckenna walked into the messy bedroom. KP looked up from her spot in the bed. Her hair unbraided and wild on her head; she had on an oversized white tee and her boxers, Her usual plump cheeks were sunk in, she had lost a lot of weight, she looked ill, KP's eyes popped when she saw Mckenna's face appear in the doorway. She didn't know if it was Mckenna for real or if it was the drugs.

"What the fuck? Kenna, is that you?" KP sat up on the bed, trying to adjust her eyes. "Yeah, it's me," Mckenna said, walking farther into the bedroom. "Oh, shit." KP sniffed and rubbed her nose. She leaned over and opened the drawer next to the bed. Mckenna's eyes darted down. She noticed the glass tray filled with white powder and a razor blade. Mckenna's eyes almost popped out when she noticed a small pipe in the drawer as well. "What you doin' here? Hell naw, man." Mckenna grabbed the plate from KP.

"What you doin'?" KP looked up at Mckenna. She knew she didn't have the strength to jump up at that moment.
"KP, what the fuck is wrong with you? Look at this shit! Look at where you are!"
"Don't fuckin' come in here and judge me, Mckenna! You think you all that now 'cause you working at Soso. You wouldn't be shit without me!"

Mckenna tried to ignore KP's rants. She noticed a duffle bag in the corner. She picked it up, realizing KP's few possessions were in it. "Get the fuck up. We are going."
"I ain't going nowhere!" Sonic said as she lay back in the bed.
"You right. You did help me, and now I'm helping you.
KP, you're better than this, and you fucking know it. These damn drugs and shit, I'm checking you into rehab."

"I don't need no damn rehab. I need a hit record, so I can get back on my feet. You gon' get me a hit record, Kenna? Or you too busy working with that bitch!" KP threw her hand in the direction of the TV. Aaliyah's face flashed across the screen. It was her MTV spotlight. Aaliyah's face normally would have calmed Mckenna down. But she felt rage at KP's words.

"What the fuck are you talking about?" Mckenna could feel the anger rising. KP lit her blunt. Instantly the room filled with the thick cloudy haze. "I don't know why you brought that stuck-up-ass bitch to the crib anyway. I knew she wasn't shit. Now they all catering to her ass like she fuckin' Beyoncé or some shit, ho trippin' about letting a nigga smash." Mckenna felt a large knot in her throat. "Did ... did you?"

KP looked over at Mckenna. "Nah, she too damn stuck-up. Always saying she belonged to someone else. I know you hit it though. Man, girls drop the panties for your ass." KP's laugh turned to a whooping cough. She grabbed a hot beer and took a swig from it.
"It's not even like that." Mckenna looked at the TV again. She couldn't believe Aaliyah wasn't seeing anyone else. She looked back at KP.

"Man, look, are you gon' let me help you or not?"
"What, you got a hit for me or what? I know if I get a hit, they will let me come back to the company."
"KP, I want to help you, but you have to help yourself first. You need to go to rehab."

"I said-"
"KP, if you want your career back, you'll do this. Do it for me."
The only sound from the room was the television. KP stared at Mckenna. Mckenna wasn't breaking. She stared right back at KP with a stern look on her face.
"You promise to get me a hit if I do the rehab thing?"
"I promise."
"A'ight. But can you make it a nice one. These wack-ass centers just make me wanna leave."

Mckenna sighed. "I'll do the best I can. I'm going to pick you up tomorrow morning after I get everything together."
KP stared at Mckenna. "You know I always liked you, Kenna. Even when we first met, I normally don't let outsiders come around me like that. It was something about you. I knew you were true." KP lit a cigarette and took a puff. Aight, man, I'll do it for you." Mckenna smiled. "Any time."

KP looked at Mckenna, who was tapping away on her phone. "Aye, Kenna. Thanks, man." Mckenna let the crisp New York air hit her. She felt a sense of pride. She was able to get KP to do something no one else was able to do. She hailed a cab and headed back into the city.

And we are bringing it to you first. The hottest new singer out of ATL's Soso Def: Aaliyah. This girl is is hot, and this song is blazing. Lemme know what ya think. Hit the line.
Mckenna listened to the radio coming from the cab. Aaliyah's sultry voice sounded amazing against her beat.
Aaliyah entered her head. Mckenna felt the warm sensation taking over her body. She thought about KP.

Aaliyah wasn't some whore that fucked her way to the top. She was really all about Mckenna. She smiled. She thought about Taraji and her Twilight reference. Maybe she wasn't the werewolf after all. Maybe she was the vampire, trying to stay away from someone who was made for her. Mckenna knew she didn't want to resist anymore.