Borders

Written by Serj Tankian

Borders surround
Borders bound
Borders marginalize
Borders divide
Borders frame
Borders kill

Borders are the ultimate man-made walls separating and differentiating us beyond our cultures, beyond our beliefs.

Borders are subjective, unnatural lines drawn by humans delineating land, water, and air for partisan collective utilization.

If borders were natural, other animals, in fact, all beings would be bound by them.

Indigenous cultures never recognized borders, cognizant of the fact that the land owns us and not the other way round.

Borders lead to war, occupation, bigotry, even genocide.

Worst of all, borders are a deceptive, yet constant reinforcement of the notion that we are alone, separate from all things around us.

The multi-layered borders of our lives stratify separations in their undignified definitions.

There are people dying in Kashmir due to border disputes. Shots are fired daily between North and South Korea. The Berlin Wall separated the German people for half a century. Israel and Palestine continue to endure conflict. The Ottoman Empire felt they had to carry out genocide to protect their borders. Their borders, their borders, their fucking borders!

Borders represent the foundation of civilization, expansionism, abusive capitalism, and presumptious occupation.

Floods don't recognize borders.
Earthquakes don't recognize borders.
Disease, famine, drought don't recognize borders.

Why should we?