Chapter 37

"How did you sleep?"

I looked up from my plate and looked at Devin who had spoken. I was surprised that he'd decided to speak to me during breakfast since he never did.

I swallowed the piece of scrabbled egg I had been chewing on, and answered his simple question with a simple answer.

"Fine."

"Just fine?"

"Yes."

He nodded at my answer and continued to eat his breakfast.

I just stared at him for a bit. When he said he wanted to work things out, I wasn't expecting niceness on his part to come along.

He looked up a bit later and sent a dazzling smile toward me. Wait, a dazzling smile?

Is the man sitting in front of me really Devin? I had been fooled once, but I was not going to let it happen again.

"I have sent for a dress to arrive here at around two. I want you to wear it and be ready by six. Your driver will be ready with the car at that time," Devin informed me.

"My driver?" Last time I checked I didn't have a driver.

"Yes."

"Since when?"

"Today."

I pursed my lips at him and gave him a look.

"I thought you were taking me to this mysterious place."

"I'll be waiting for you there."

"Okay."

I continued to eat my breakfast and attempted to eat in silence, only it was useless. Devin kept on talking throughout the whole meal. He talked about the news, and how the weather was very nice for the month of May.

When I was finally done with my plate, I stood up and left the room. I could hear Devin's footsteps following closely behind me. As I was about to step foot on the stairway, a voice made me stop.

"Aren't you going to say goodbye to me before I leave for work?" Devin asked.

I slowly turned around to face him and said, "Goodbye, Devin."

Only I guess that wasn't enough for him since he slid a hand around my waist and pulled me to him.

I looked up at him in surprise and all he did was smirk.

He leaned his head forward making our breathes mix together.

Was he going to kiss me?!?

Before I knew it, Devin had placed a small peck on my cheek.

"Goodbye, my wife." Devin let go and left through the front door. All I did was stand there in the same spot he had left me in. Was this his way of working things out? To make me a confused puddle of melted jelly.

~

I opened the white box that Rosa had brought up to my room. I placed the lid on the bed and started to take out the tissue paper. Underneath the paper laid a red cocktail dress. The same color red that I remember putting on for the first time I met him. I pulled it out of the box and examined it. It ended just above the knee. The sleeves landing to the upper arm. It was a very fitted dress and a very gorgeous one at that. If Devin picked it out, I had to give him props he had some fashion sense.

I laid the dress on my bed and started to take off my towel. I put on my undergarments, finally ending with the dress. I then walked over to my closet and picked out some gold platform heels that were covered in white gems at the front overlapping straps.

When I came out of my closet, a small knock came from my door. I said a come in and in walked Rosa.

"Do you need help with your hair, Mrs. Maker?" She asked as she went over to my bed and started to clean my mess on tissue paper.

"Yes, please."

"Before I forget." She took out a note from her apron's pocket and handed it to me.

I looked at the front and my name was neatly spelled in cursive. I looked over to Rosa to get any clue to what it could say, but she gave me none. I opened the letter and started to read it.

I will be waiting. Don't be late.

Devin

Maybe that's just what I have to do. Being causally late to a dinner date with Devin is just what I need to do.

"What time is it?" I asked Rosa with a small smile.

"It's six thirty Mrs. Maker." I inwardly smiled. He can wait an hour.

"Okay. Rosa take all the time you need for my hair and makeup. No rush." I went over and sat at my vanities chair and smiled at my reflection. I'm just too good for myself.

~

I took the hand my driver had put out and got out of the car. The smell of sea salt tingled my nose.

"Mrs. Maker, you're late." A middle aged man said as he led me to a white yacht.

"I lost track of time getting ready."

We walked down the deck until we reached our destination. He led me on and all the way to the deck of the yacht was a table with two seats. The scenery was like one out of a movie. Lights were wrapped around the railings and in the middle was the very decorated tabled. A tall candle was illuminating the light on the person who occupied one of the two seats. He hadn't noticed I was there since he kept on checking his Rolex from time to time.

"Devin," I greeted as I walked over to the table. He instantly stood up at the sound of my voice and looked at me from head to two.

"Samantha, you're late." He walked around the table and pulled out the chair for me to sit on. I did and I let him push it in. He walked over and sat in his own chair.

"I've been told," I said. I looked at my nails and through the spaces of my fingers looked at Devin. He took a sip of his half empty glass.

"Maybe next time I should pick you up."

"Who said there would be a next time?" I took my own glass of wine and drank from it, leaving a red lipstick stain around the rim of the glass. I hope he hadn't forgotten about the divorce I wanted because I surely hadn't. If that was to happen, there would be no more dinner encounters with him or any type of encounters with him because he would be out of my life by then.

He gave me a smirk.

"Touche," he said while lifting his glass in acknowledgment. "Shall we eat?" He asked and all I could do was nod. Who was I to deny food when I was dying of hunger after a very long getting ready process.

A/N

You go Samantha show him who has the bigger guns.

Okay anyway many of you have been commenting how you think Devin's plan will backfire on him. We will see what happens along the road.

Picture of Samantha's Dress in the media section(:

Please vote and comment.

Bye (: