Chapter 3 {Rewritten}

Chapter 3 Rewritten

One month later

After spending one month with the famous Devin Maker, I was able to say he wasn't as much of an asshole as I thought he would be after the first night we had met. We had surprisingly gotten along to the point that I could call him my friend. Weird to say since I had thought I would hate his guts till death did us part.

The door to my room swung open making me jolt a bit from shock. I looked up from my phone— that I had been mindlessly scrolling through— to set my eyes on my lovely mother.

"Why are you still sitting around like today isn't your big day?" My mother scoffed out as she entered. Her heels clacked one by one making a headache grow within me. I could never have peace when around her.

"Get up and start showering now! The makeup artist and hair dresser will be here any moment." She pulled the covers off of my body, exposing me to the chilling AC. I soon found myself being dragged into my bathroom by her.

"Wash up, you stink," she said scrunching her face in disgust.

She was obviously over-exaggerating because from were I stood I smelled nothing wrong with me. My mother was just being her extra self like every bloody day of her life.

It didn't take long for me to shower— what did take long was for my face and hair to be done to absolute perfection. I had felt like I had sat in front of my vanity for centuries. The ending results, though, weren't maddening. I could barely even recognize myself. My makeup had been done flawlessly. I looked like one of those beauty gurus that every girl watched for makeup tips.

"Wow," was all I could say as I turned and stared at my impeccable complexion in the mirror.

"I'm glad you like it!" The makeup artist said with glee.

"I love it, I also love the hair." I turned to look at the hair dresser and smiled— she smiled back. My hair was up in a perfect bun with a curled strand on either side of my face. Although this wasn't a preferred reason to be all dressed up and pampered— to a wedding that would be deceiving everyone even myself— I could not deny the fact that this was at least one good thing of today. I looked and felt like a princess.

It didn't take long for me to put on my dress and be ready to walk down the aisle; it would change not only my name, but my future. It would create a fake life that I would have to play along in. I didn't want to fall into the deep hole that had already been created, but I threw myself in with the first step I took down the small lit pathway in Devin's backyard.

My mother had allowed me to choose the location of the wedding, and I had always wanted a small backyard wedding with lights all around illuminating the dimming sunset. That was all that I was able to get for the night. My mother had chosen the dress— saying it was the one for me— just like she had chosen my husband.

Ignoring my pending anger towards her, I focused on not falling straight to my face while walking towards Devin Maker— my husband to be.

I stared at him all the way until I was standing right in front of him. His astounding height of 6'3 only making me merely look up due to the platform heels I was forced to put on earlier.

My father handed me off to him at the alter.

He held my gaze and after what felt like an eternity, he quirked his lips a bit, producing a cheeky boyish grin and with his lips mouthed, "are you okay". I smiled back at him and nodded my head.

The ceremony took off when the priest— that stood in front of us— began his long speech, that he'd memorized from the countless times he had recited it. When he finally said the part of the "I do," my heart began to pace up. It was a beat louder too and I felt like all of the people that were in attendance could hear it about to burst out of my chest.

"Do you, Devin Levy Maker, take Samantha Payton Hult, as your wife?"

For a second, I had thought that Devin had switched his mind about the whole thing, and said screw it. A long and pregnant pause came as we all waited for what he would say. My brain and heart were hoping he said it was all a mistake. Soon, my prayers were denied when he spoke those two sinfully dissatisfying words.

"I do."

When it was my turn to say what I had to say, I did it as briskly as I could. The sooner that I would get it over with, the sooner I would be able to leave this façade and go up to my room.

All of my thoughts went away when I heard the dreadful words of, "You may now kiss the bride." My eyes widened and without my consent, Devin placed his lips on mine and gave me a long and tender kiss. I couldn't deny it, he was a great kisser. I didn't want it to stop, but it did and faster than I had hoped it would. My eyes were still closed with dejection. I slowly opened them as I heard the clapping of our friends and family around us.

I turned around to look at them and felt as Devin's strong arm looped around my small waist. He was pleasing the unknowing crowd with his skilled acting that they didn't know was such. I, on the other hand, just stood next to him trying to muster the most real looking smile that I could.

Once the crowd had calmed down, they were all escorted to the large patio covered in tables for them to sit at. Devin and I followed suit.

"They all seemed to buy that we are just madly in love kids that just couldn't wait to get married," Devin murmured next to me.

"Seems so," I blatantly replied.

Throughout the night people came and went, stopping by to only say congratulations to us for finding love and deciding to act upon it. If only they knew that there was no love in this marriage, now that would be something. The only person I had cared to acknowledge that night was my friend Sidney that had made it back from Paris just in time for my mishap of a life.

"It's great to see you! I haven't seen you in a while. You never wanted to FaceTime!" She said when she came up to me and hugged me. Her dazzling white teeth on display as she gave a genuine smile.

"My mother just never let me out of her sight with the whole wedding planning things," I groaned out. My mother had been the bridezilla, not me.

"I can't believe you got married! I thought that after Ash—" at the sight of my face she stopped mid-sentence knowing how that was a sensitive topic. "On the other hand, you look absolutely stunning! Like who would have though Samantha Hult would be in a wedding gown at such a young age. Now who will check guys out with me at the club." She gave a pout and then began to giggle.

It was refreshing to be in the company of my best friend. Everything was just much easier and relaxing. That feeling was gone, though, when she had to leave, as well as everyone else. I was back to being alone, and that's how I would spend my wedding night.