DESERT WAKE

By Amber K. Bryant

I had quite a bit of difficulty deciding upon a title for DESERT WAKE. Although I am just posting this story now, it was written several years ago. Back then, I'd given it the name WAKE THE DESERT, which I was never totally satisfied with.

This story takes place in a desolate stretch of terrain. The desert situated in the middle of the world's only continent is spreading outward, threatening to take over every inch of habitable land. As the characters struggle to survive their harsh surroundings, the desert takes on a life of its own. It becomes its own character, seen either as a malevolent force bent on destruction, or as a life simply wanting to live outside the space it was born into. The connection the characters have to it is what gives it its life, which may in turn wake it to the consciousness of the people it will soon destroy.

The double meaning of the word wake (to stand in attendance over a dead body) is fitting for a people who have lost so much. DESERT WAKE, simplified from its previous title, felt nuanced and just...right.

A/N: Don't forget to click the star if you like the title! I've read the beginning of DESERT WAKE by Amber K. Bryant, and the world building is authentic and haunting, with enough humor to keep going. Read it for yourself by clicking on her profile in the dedication.