Chapter 6

I don't know if skinny Rambo was accurate, Tim looked a lot more like Edward Norton than Stallone.

"Anyone injured?" Tim yelled from his perch.

"No, but we're pretty damn tired," Roy yelled back as he approached the truck.

Karla was at the helm, the windshield wipers going as fast as they could.

"You guys did a pretty good job," Tim said this as if he was commenting on the weather. "You should head back inside." He banged on the top of the truck. "Drive down the street!"

Karla hit the gas, jarring Tim, but he managed to stay sitting. They sped off into the distance, the rain blanketing them from our sight. The popping of gun fire continued and I felt maybe he had this covered.

"Come on, let them handle the rest," Roy motioned for the apartment.

Once we got inside, people started to bombard us in the lobby.

"Did you take care of the sick ones?"

"How many more are out there?"

"Can they get in?"

"Listen up!" Roy's voice boomed. "We've taken care of the closest ones; Tim and Karla are in the truck taking out the rest. Until the rain clears, we can't do much more."

Someone handed me a towel; it was scratchy, but dry. I rung out my hair and wiped off my skin. My clothes were completely soaked through and clinging me. The chef turned to me as he set down his crowbar.

"By the way, people call me Mac and before you say anything, no, it's not from the Big Mac," the chef sighed. "And if you try to be cute and call me pet names like Chef Boyardee, good luck getting served!"

"I would never." I totally would. "Thanks for having my back out there."

The towel over his head muffled his response, "That's the whole point of community isn't it? To have each other's backs?"

"Sounds good to me," I shrugged.

Chloe came bounding up to me with Amanda on her heels, breaking off to run to Roy.

"You ok?" she asked concerned.

"Yep, just a little cold," I smiled down at her.

"They're back!" the doorman announced as he opened the door.

A drenched Tim and barely wet Karla walked through the door. Mac stood a little straighter and I couldn't help but think he had a thing for Miss Eastern European Karla.

"Well?" Roy prompted.

Tim ignored him, "We've secured the area. There's nothing more we can do until the rain clears. Once it does, we will send out another party to clean up the mess and get a better handle of what's out there. For now, return to your rooms, keeping light and sound to a minimal."

His words were law, so people started to scurry back to their rooms as they were told. He was definitely military, but didn't seem to lord that over everyone. I don't think he liked being a leader and having to answer to people. Not that I could blame him, being a leader was a big responsibility. Maybe that's why he let Roy kind of lead the pack.

He walked by us without any more words, Karla right behind him. Elaine, who had been peering at us the whole time, her face unreadable among the sea of concerned ones, was now approaching us with her hands full.

"Here are some dry clothes, they should fit you." She passed me the folded clothes.

"Thanks."

"You can use my office to change," she nodded her head towards the hallway.