Chapter 27

I poked my head out of my bedroom door to see if the coast was clear. From the sunlight glaring through my window, I could tell that it was still pretty early in the morning. I had shaken Ethan awake and he was currently putting back on his rumpled clothes from last night, readying for his walk of shame. I'm glad it wasn't me having to do it.

"I don't hear or see anyone," I whispered.

Ethan finished pulling up his jeans and sighed.

"Why am I sneakin' out like this again?"

"Is this how you want people to find out we're together?" I cocked out hip.

His lips curled up and he yanked me too him placing a giant kiss on my mouth.

"Whatever you say darlin'." He purposely exaggerated the last word with his southern drawl.

"That accent is starting to grow on me," I said, our lips a millimeter apart.

"But only mine, right?"

I smiled and put a finger to my chin, "I dunno, Byron's Cajun accent is in close second."

Ethan scoffed, "Even I have a hard time understandin' him sometimes."

I kissed him back and then shoved him out the bedroom door.

"Jeez woman, you're not even goin' to let me put on my shoes?"

"I could've tossed you out in your underwear if you'd like," I grinned evilly.

"Next time, you're comin' to my place and I'll kick you out in your underwear."

"That'll leave quite the impression on our neighbors, plus what about Chloe?"

Ethan's grin that seemed to be permanently etched on his face since he woke up, faltered. He put down his shoe he was slipping on as realization sunk in.

"How should we tell her?"

I ran my hands up and down my arms, "Well I've never dated a guy with a kid before, so I have no idea."

Ethan raised a brow, "She's not my daughter."

"She might as well be now," I said without thinking.

Ethan stilled his hands again. He looked at me, a scared pair of eyes bore into my own. I had just managed to put my foot in my mouth very spectacularly. I opened my mouth to apologize but Ethan held up his hand.

"You're right." He plunked down on one of the island stools. "I guess I just didn't want to believe it until now."

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that," I sighed.

He looked so lost. So unlike Ethan. I walked over to him and wrapped my arms arm him. It took a second, but he hugged me back.

"So you'll tell her then?"

I gently smack him upside the head.

"Kiddin'!" He put his hands up in defeat.

"Chloe's not just your responsibility, you know. She has all of us too," I pointed out.

"You know, I don't think I'll ever be able to pay you back for keepin' her safe," Ethan said, all flirting gone.

"Well, I'm not a diamond girl, so how about you share some of the dirt on this place?"

"Bailey, there's absolutely nothin' wrong with this place, so stop lookin' for somethin'," he said like a dad scolding a child.

I was about to argue when the front door flew open. Roy rushed in and almost face planted when he saw us in the kitchen.