Chapter 26

When we finally approached the gate at Hargrove, the guards had done their duty and cleared the way for us. Grant was the first one out of the truck, enlisting Mark to help move Sheri. The gate hadn't even been closed behind us when they started to remove her from the backseat.

Sheri had paled considerably. Blood loss tended to do that to a person. She was still breathing; it was just labored from being jostled during the drive. We had managed to turn the hour we had left into thirty minutes thanks to some speed driving. It would have been fun under other circumstances.

People started to swarm us immediately.

"What happened?" Wyatt demanded at the forefront.

"Friendly-fire incident. Where's Oscar?" Grant wasted no time.

If I remembered correctly from my day of introductions, Oscar was a surgeon and the resident medical doctor at Hargrove.

"I think he's in his condo. Get Sheri to the doctor's office in the meantime and prep her for surgery. We'll find him." Wyatt patted Grant on the back and took off down the street.

Ethan joined us just in time to see Sheri being carted away.

"What happened to her? She get bit?" I didn't care for the blatant concern in his voice.

"No, Mark accidently shot her," I said back tersely.

Ethan turned to John, "And what happened to you? Geez, what went on out there?"

"Had a little bit of a disagreement with the Sergeant, that's all," John replied.

"You should get some treatment for that too," I pointed to his face.

"No use botherin' 'em. Sheri needs their attention more. Hope the poor girl is alright," John waved off my comment.

"How did Mark accidently shoot her?" Ethan asked.

"He's no-so-good with a gun."

"I'm gunna go help find Oscar," Ethan bowed out and I couldn't help feeling irked.

It's not like Ethan and I were dating, but we had been through an awful lot together. It wasn't just the Sheri thing either; it was that he assimilated so easily to this place that I felt left in the dust. I wanted to smack him upside the head.

"Jealous are we?" John cracked a grin, despite the pain his face must have been in.

I crossed my arms, "Shouldn't you go put some ice on that or something?"

"I'll go see if the kitchen staff can spare any."

I watched him walk away, not really sure of what to do with myself. The rest of our training crew had begun to take back the weapons and park the trucks. I decided to head back to my condo and wait to hear any news.

When I opened the front door, I found Chloe and Amanda on the living room floor coloring away. Roy was seated at the island going over some papers. The scene was very domestic; I fought the urge to yell, "Honey, I'm home!"

"Bailey!" Chloe hopped up and gave me a tackle-hug.

I patted her head, "How was school?"

She made a scrunched up face, "Borin'. But they gave us some markers and colorin' books to keep."

"I was starting to get worried. You were gone for a long time just for a shooting lesson," Roy said as he put down his papers.

"That's because they took us two hours away from here so that the noise could never be linked back here."