Chapter 19

As the two drew closer, my mind started to go blank. I had no idea what to do. I hit the gas again, but the car remained in place. One guy shouldered his weapon and put his hands up in a 'we mean you no harm' gesture. Roy and I shared a look.

"You think he's one of the mercenaries?"

My mouth was dry, making it hard to answer, "I don't know. It's not like they have a uniform."

The two I had dealt with back at the apartment had nothing similar about how they looked. It wasn't like they wore a team jersey or anything. The guy got close enough that he was able to drag away a couple of the bodies from the driver's door by their legs. I finally jammed a full magazine into the Berretta just in time for the man to reach my window.

He reached for the door handle and I pointed the gun at him. He held his hands back then motioned for me to come out.

"I got your back," Roy stated, his own AR-15 in his lap.

I wanted to tell him that his words were less than comforting, but I decided against it. Instead of opening the door, I rolled down the window with the gun still pointed towards the man.

"Dere, dere, dawlin'," the man said in a heavy Cajun accent. "We ain't here ta harm."

I couldn't tell if I believed him or not, hell, I couldn't even tell if I'd heard him right. I was having a hard time understanding his accent. He must've been somewhere in his late twenties, early thirties. And he looked like he was permanently tanned under his tank-top, which showcased his slim, but muscled physique. He had some brown stubble outlining his face and the widest grin I had ever seen.

"Now put down ta gun, you," he put his own arms down.

"I think I'll keep it here for now," I said back, the gun still pointed at him. "Who are you?"

The man took a deep breath, "We're from da Hargrove place. A scoutin' group lookin' for other survivors and supplies."

I tensed. If they thought they could rob us, they had another thing coming.

"Prove it," I demanded.

His eyes narrowed, "Not sure how ta do dat without takin' ya back. How about ya follow us?"

He could just be leading us into a trap.

"I have a better idea, how about you follow us," I countered.

We had the map leading us to Hargrove from Ethan. If these guys were legit, then everything would be okay when we arrived. If they weren't, then we had back-up anyways. The man's eyebrows shot up and a grin spread across his face.

"If dat what it takes, miss," he said. "We just around da corner." He jerked his head towards the end of the street.

"After you then."

The grin never left his face as he nodded and headed towards his ride. The others followed him, sparing a couple of glances back at us.

"Holy shit," Roy let out a huge breath.

I rolled up the window, my fingers slightly shaking. I stuck them in my lap, resting on my Beretta until the adrenaline left my system. The others didn't need to see that.

"They didn't do anythin', that's good right?" Chloe asked.

"All I know is that once we clear the car from being stuck, we don't get out again until we hit Hargove," I said. "Come on, Roy. Let's get this over with."

We got out and cleared the pile of bodies from underneath the car. One of the legs I was pulling came off, the hip bone jutting out of the socket. I grimaced and flung the appendage away from me. I got back in and hit the gas while Roy stayed outside and pushed. After the car cleared the biggest hump, we were finally able to move again. I steered around the bodies, stopping just long enough for Roy to get in.