Chapter 22

After yet another round of introductions I was officially tired of meeting people; my eyes were starting to cross. Sergeant Grant briskly shook our hands before walking off. He wasn't very friendly or personable. Everyone else seemed nice though. One teenage boy around thirteen was being lightly teased about his crappy shooting; his face turning red. I could relate to that. A girl with dark red hair quickly saddled up beside Ethan, talking to him with a flashy smile.

"Who are your friends?" she asked Ethan as he smiled back at her.

I should be the one asking that.

"Sheri, this is my little sister Chloe and this is Bailey," he motioned to both of us.

"Hi," Chloe said.

I just nodded and crossed my arms. When Chloe saw this, she mimicked my stance and crossed her arms too. I was starting to have a little mini-me. Sheri frowned and Ethan looked surprised by my cold greeting. Admittedly it wasn't very mature, I was acting like I was back in high school, but I could give less of a crap. I turned from them to John.

"So John, do I have to take your shooting course or do I get your seal of approval thanks to the training I've already got?"

"Sergeant Grant has final say, so you'll have to show him. But I'll put in a good word for you," John winked.

"Bailey knows how to use AR-15 now!" Chloe said, outing me.

One of the people in the crowd commented, "And how do you even know that's what the gun is called, little girl?"

Chloe cocked out a hip, "I grew up country."

People chuckled in response. Chloe certainly had a way of stealing scenes.

"Alright guys an' gals, trainin' is over for today. Head home and wash up for dinner at the clubhouse," John announced to the crowd.

People started to trickle back to their condos.

Zoe leaned over to me, "Well that was rude." I couldn't help but notice the smirk on her face.

"Shut-up," was all I could say in my defense.

"Sheri's actually pretty nice."

"Sheri, pfft. That's a stripper's name."

Zoe started to laugh.

"I'm just gonna log in my guns and I'll meet you guys for dinner." John tipped his hat and took off towards the club house.

After another hour of catching up, we were brought into the clubhouse for dinner. Apparently it was at four PM every day. At least they were keeping some traditions from the old-folk's community. The clubhouse had three large picnic tables in the center with various other plastic tables and chairs all over. It still didn't look like enough seating for the eighty-three people Zoe said resided here.

"Are there going to be enough seats?" I asked as I followed Zoe and Ethan to the back.

I guessed the kitchen was in the back from the smell of cooking food wafting out here.

"A lot of people just come grab a plate and take it home," Zoe explained.

There was a line forming by a large serving window with aluminum trays of food out resembling a buffet. I copied what Zoe and Ethan were doing and grabbed a plate with utensils, getting in line behind them.

"Smells good," Chloe said as she sniffed the air. "But I bet it won't be as good as Mac's food though."

I nodded, "Once we go get all of them, Mac can cook some of his recipes for Hargrove."