Chapter 39

A/N: There's only one more chapter and an epilogue to go after this! So pace yourself :P

"Holy shit, it really is an old folks' village! Perfect for you, old man!" Colin exclaimed when we got back.

Darren glared at him as Wyatt approached us. "Who's this?"

"Colin's the name," Colin said as he extended a hand to Wyatt.

Wyatt didn't take his hand, instead looked Colin up and down. "You bit? You look sick."

"No, he's been with us since yesterday," I answered on Colin's behalf.

"Maybe you should have Oscar do a super thorough exam." Darren said with a grin.

Not realizing Darren had been joking, Wyatt nodded. "That sounds like a good idea."

Colin sent Darren a death glare. Byron leaned down and began poking around the red Mustang.

"Ya ain't old 'nough ta drive, youngin' and ya certainly ain't old 'nough ta drink."

I looked into the back seat to see what Byron was talking about. There were crates of booze on the floor among old wrappers and dirty clothes.

"Naw, I'm not that cool. It's for Molotov's." Colin waved off Byron's comment.

"How much ya settin' on fire, boy?"

"You ever been trapped by a horde? Fire's an easy escape."

Byron didn't look convinced, but nodded. "We gunna have ta confiscate dis."

Colin opened his mouth, but I held out my palm.

"I'll take responsibility for him, so his stuff can stay with us."

Byron looked Colin over one last time. "He all yours, cher."

I wasn't positive that vouching for the teen was a good idea, but I didn't want him at the mercy of Wyatt's sketchy crew.

"He staying with you then?" Wyatt asked.

"The couch is pretty comfy," I said.

"Couch?" Colin muttered.

"After our surgeon examines you, you're free to start unpacking," Wyatt said, then pointed to one of the guards. "Start cleaning up this mess."

He motioned to the ground by the walls. There were piles of empty shells lying around.

"What happened?" Darren asked.

"Just a few roamers, that's all," Wyatt answered.

I figured something had happened; we had seen a bunch of dead infected lying around the road leading up to the gate as we approached. There must have been another wave while we were gone.

"Please drive the truck to the chicken coop, and put the feed in the shed."

Darren nodded and drove off in the truck. Ethan came running over from behind some of the condos, a painted rifle in hand.

"You're back," he grinned and we hugged. "How'd it go?"

"Came back with lots of feed, and an extra body." I hefted a thumb at Colin.

"'Sup?" Colin said. "I'm Colin."

Ethan took his hand, Colin's pale hand standing out against Ethan's tanned one. "Ethan. How old are you?"

"Fifteen, you?" Colin countered.

"Twenty-five," Ethan answered with a smile. "Nice hair."

Colin ran a hand through his blue hair. "I watched a lot of anime back when we had internet."