Chapter 10

It was weird. I was having an out of body experience or dreaming. I could hear others talking around me, but couldn't move or talk. The voices sounded like Roy and Elaine but I wasn't sure. My brain wasn't working right, everything was jumbled.

"...do with him?"

"Shot him..."

"Concussion..."

"...where's Tim?"

At that, I tried to pull myself out of whatever state I was in. My fingers finally twitched at my command. Consciousness became clearer. I could sense light all around me.

"She's waking up, pass me that!" the female voice demanded.

I felt hands on me, "Bailey?" male voice.

"Wha?" I tried to speak but my mouth felt like it was stuffed with cotton.

"Don't try to speak," the female voice commanded.

My eyelids opened, like a blind being yanked up on a window. I had to reclose them when the light burnt my eyes. A wave of nausea rolled over me in a fierce wave. I turned and heaved.

"Here!" Someone passed me a pail shaped item.

My arms wrapped around it as my stomach emptied its contents. Tears burned my eyes from the force and my headed throbbed like an open wound. Thud, thud, thud. My head pounded in an increasing tempo. More nausea. More vomit. Until my stomach was completely void of contents. I was finally able to take a breath as the retching and rolling in my stomach subsided.

I slowly cracked my eyelids open to reveal two concerned faces. Elaine and Roy were staring intently at me.

"Chloe?" I croaked.

"Chloe's fine. She's in the common room with Amanda," Roy answered quietly.

My body sagged as relief made my muscles lax.

"Do you know where you are?" Elaine asked, her voice as clinical as her office.

"Your office," I answered.

I had spotted the desk behind them and the cabinet against the wall. She must be testing my head injuries.

"Good. Do you know what happened to you?"

I swallowed, my mouth tasting like sour battery acid, "I hit my head."

"Yes, you have a concussion. Do you remember being attacked?" she asked in a soft tone.

"Yes, two men. I got one and was thrown by the other."

"Are you still feeling nauseous?"

"No."

She took the garbage can from me.

"I want you to stay lying for a little while longer. Then you can get up slowly," she instructed.

I obeyed. "Can I have some water?"

Elaine moved to her desk and came back with a water bottle with a straw in it. "Sips only."

She allowed me to hold the bottle as I took small drinks. The water helped to wash away the acrid taste and sooth my burning throat.

"What happened to the other man? Did he get to Chloe?"

"I heard her scream as I was already heading up the stairs," Roy relayed. "I saw you unconscious on the ground and found the guy trying to subdue Chloe. He pulled his gun on me, but I shot first." His face was pinched.

My eyes closed as I groaned. I had failed again at protecting her. And now she had just witnessed a man get shot.

"She's doing very well considering," Elaine added. "She's been here every five minutes demanding to see you, banging at the door."