Chapter 34

A/N: Warning, so much fluff ahead, you could stuff a mattress with it :P

I spent the next couple of days being the recipient of curious stares. Everyone was wondering if I had lost my mind. John was patiently waiting for me to spill my guts, but I still wasn't ready. I was more than glad I had agreed to go with Darren on his run, it would allow me to get away from being the towns resident loon. But due to my breakdown, as he called it, Darren postponed the trip for an extra couple of days.

"Are you listenin', Bailey?" Ethan asked.

I turned my head towards him, losing my train of thought. "You bet."

Ethan didn't look convinced, but went on. "Can you keep an eye on Chloe today? I have to do some things for Wyatt."

I didn't want to encourage Ethan's attachment to this place, but it was more for Chloe than for him.

"Sure, but doesn't she have apocalypse school or whatever you'd call it?"

"Lessons are just in the mornin' today."

"When's it over?"

"In like ten minutes."

I glared at him. "Way to cut it close."

Ethan shrugged. "I figured you'd do it."

He gave me a brief hug and left my condo with a goodbye. All of our group members had been stopping by like they were checking on me. I tried to tell them that I was okay now, that I had my little outburst and was all good. But I don't think they really bought it. It was mostly the truth though. It was like every bad thing that happened to me had been building up to the point where I needed some kind of outlet. Unfortunately, my betraying body and brain made it into a public spectacle. I was still struggling with the rather high body count I had racked up, though. I don't know how people just get over that sort of thing. I suppose being a psychopath would help.

I stopped my wallowing and gave the kitchen island a clean, clearing off the various items. The place definitely looked lived in now and as a bonus, I was able to tuck away most of the cat paraphernalia, except for the hideous couch. Honestly, the place was kind of a mess. I wasn't the cleaning type and neither was Roy. I don't know why I bothered, it's not like Chloe would care.

After my ten-minute grace period, I left the condo and heading toward the building they were using as the school. Even before I opened the door, I could hear the screaming of children. Inside they were all in a flurry, chattering among themselves. There was paper everywhere. I spotted an exhausted looking Zoe and made my way over to her.

"Hey Bailey, came to fetch Chloe?" Zoe asked, a smear of blue marker on her face.

"How'd you know?" I asked.

She bit her lip. "Well you're not here for any other kid, are you?"

Fair point.

"Bailey! Look at the pirates hat I made!" Chloe brandished her work of art.

"What, no princess crown for you?" I asked, noticing that most of the girls had opted to make glitter-saturated paper crowns.

Chloe scoffed. "Pirates are way cooler."

"You got that right. Guess you're stuck with me today, kid."

"Cool! Can we stay here for a bit more? I wanna make the popsicle cabin next."

I turned to Zoe. "Are you actually teaching them anything? Or just having them do crafts all day?"

"Hey! We do so teach them. The last hour is always craft time."