chapter: 1

(A/N: Well you did it, you clicked on this stupid book. Prepare yourself for cringest book you will ever read, with tons of unexplained plot holes. Enjoy!)

About four years had pasted since that night in Central City. River now lived in a poor exuse for a home in Gotham City.

"You got to be kidding me!" She exclaimed as she stared at the box of cornflakes in her hand. "I just got this!" River glanced at her little German Shepherd puppy, Quinn. "You ate all of it, didn't you?" The dog simply wagged her tail in reply.

"I take that as yes." River muttered as she heard a knock on her door; the teen cautiously aproched the door a peeked through the eye whole.

Nothing.

River slipped her spy like sunglasses over her eyes and stepped out of the apartment.

After the door shut, River heard a maddening laugh.

"Joker." Her words were sharp and bitter. She spun around to see the crazed man smiling as he leaned up against a light post.

"In the flesh!" He laughed, looking up from his knife. "Nice place you here. Very... Traditional." Transitional meaning old broken down restaurant from the early days of Gotham.

"What do you want?" She groaned, crossing her arms.

"Just wanted to ask who did your pretty hair!" The Joker joked as he gave the teen a crocked grin. She glared at him return. "Fine, fine! If you wanna be rude!" The Joker walked over to the orphan. "I'm planning on robbing Gotham Central Bank soon, do you wish to help? I'll cut you in for half!"

"Generous, but whatever happened to your girlfriend?" The brunette snapped at the mental man; who loomed over her.

"Harley's sick."

"Something else, the two of you have in common." She balled her fists around her fingerless biker gloves.

Before she could react, the Joker pinned her up against a near by car. "Then why deary, did you have to go far... a-and insult me, hm?" He asked, as he grew his dagger slowly up the girl's arm; the blade barley grazing her olive skin. "Just stating the obvious!" She replied with an innocent smile.

"What are you even going by now?" His teeth looked and smelled like he hadn't brushed them in a long time, River had to get out of this position.

"Shadow." She plainly stated, as the knife neared her face.

"Interesting..." the Joker dangled the dagger just above her eyes. "Well tell me, Shadow. If you don't exept my offer, and tell Batman and The Boy Wonder. What makes you think that they are going to listen to you? Hm? Don't you remember what happened the first time we met?!"

Shadow sighed, remembering that night; one of her first in Gotham. "I don't." She uttered as she kicked the Joker in the side, putting space between the two; the man chuckled darkly as he threw some cherry bombs filled with Joker Gas at her.

Shadow dodged each one with ease; flipped into the air, grabbed onto the light post and swung towards him. She kicked the Joker in the jaw, knocking him out. "And I'm not a villain." She muttered to his unconscious body.

Shadow then got the feeling of eyes on her, she swung around to see a dark figure standing behind her.

'How did I don't notice that sooner?' She thought as she identified the muscular man as Batman; The teen then felt small, as the Dark Knight walked over to her.

"Come with me." He ordered sturnly as he stared down at her.

"Uh..." She looked behind him. "No."

"Yes." The Batman glared at her; he grabbed her by the wrists and handcuffed her behind her back. "This way." He then forced her to walk into an ally way.