Away From Us

Hey, guys

The chapters are now back on Wattpad!

Please, make sure to vote and comment on what you liked. 

Also, please make sure to check out my new book that is on my page. It is a romance-fantasy novel and will be a trilogy that I will be updating every week.

Make sure to check it out!

Enjoy! 

S. A. A

___________________________________

"What is he talking about, Lexi? "

*********

A cold and deathly silence had suddenly fallen upon the bleak hallways of the hospital. He was waiting for me to say something; to clarify the doctors words, but I couldn't. I was speechless.

I knew it now. No lies could be spoken and no excuses could be made. I had, regrettably, reached the end of the line and it was now time for me to reveal the long-hidden truth.

Aaron hadn't said anything after the dreaded question left his lips. Rather, he waited for my reply, tapping his shoe impatiently. He looked towards the doctors room curiously before gesturing to it.

"Were you in there?" He asked, looking down at me. The look of curiosity on his face seemed insatiable and, I knew, he wouldn't relent until knowing the truth.

I could have lied to him. I could have conjured up a petty excuse of how I was 'visiting' for a friend. I even considered it for a moment,but- upon gazing into his eyes- I just couldn't find the will to lie again.

So, I nodded.

At this, the confusion on Aaron's face didn't seem to subside, but - rather- it grew. It was clear he hadn't the slightest idea of my plight.

His eyebrows furrowed as he looked back at the doctors door.
"Er, can I ask why?" He said, turning to me with an eyebrow raised. I contemplated shouting 'no!' and fleeing to Mexico, but dismissed it when I saw a gurney behind me.

Curse the injured person who was blocking my escape route.

Instead of planning a pathetic escape, I turned to Aaron slowly, gazing at the ground as I spoke.
"Aaron. I don't know how to say this, but..." I stopped mid-sentence, losing the will to carry on, but I knew I had already said too much and Aaron was waiting for the truth.

He had waited too long.

"But, what?" He said, moving closer yet I took a step back. I needed space to say this. I looked up to see Aaron- a look of hurt on his face- but it was gone before it had come, making me wonder if I had just imagined it.

I sighed deeply, rubbing my arm
nervously.
"I'm ill, Aaron." I said bluntly. I didn't want to beat around the bush. I had done it too much; too often and it needed to stop.

Before I could process his reaction, Aaron had already rushed to my side. He put a cold hand to my head, a look of worry on his face.

"What? Is it a fever or something?" He asked and then, I realised, he didn't understand the severity of my illness.

Well, in hindsight, I had said it very casually.

I stared up at Aaron as he stood over me, his hand still resting on my forehead. When he noticed my gaze on him, he raised a dark eyebrow.
"What is it? What's wrong, Lexi? " He asked, taking hold of my hand. His hands were large around mine, enveloping them perfectly. I didn't want to let go of him, but I had to. It was my time to leave.