Chapter Nine

By the time it turned two, I hadn't moved a single inch from my window seat, it was comfortable and warm and up here I was free from everything.

"Jessica, your mother and I are going next door for the barbecue, are you coming along?" My father hesitantly asked, as if he was afraid I would go bat-shit crazy like I had earlier.

"No."

"Okay, well..." He awkwardly nodded and walked away. My father was like a sheep, he just followed my mother's orders, no questions asked ever. I could never do that.

The next 30 minutes were the longest I had ever experienced, it was absolutely boring, just laying here looking up at the ceiling. I could hear the Sebastian's family's barbecue and out of curiosity I looked out the window.  The food looked delicious and since I hadn't eaten breakfast or lunch I was a bit hungry. However I was not going to give into my mother's ploy, that is I wasn't until Sebastian saw me and waved me down. What was I supposed to do? Resist? No thanks.

I quickly closed the window curtain and threw on a pair of shorts and grabbed my lucky converse. They were black with stars that I had drawn on the side and I usually wear them when I'm in need of luck.

Was I being desperate right now? I asked myself, I had just ran out my house at Sebastian's call. I thought, maybe I should go back inside. But it was too late, he had seen me.

"Jess!" He smiled, and I blushed. The light orange shirt he wore was magical, it made him hotter than usual. I felt my heart do flip-flop as he stared at me with his giant blue eyes.

"Hey. "

"I thought you were coming with your parents?"

"Yeah, I had stuff to do so...yeah." I inwardly cringed. God, could I not function properly?

"Oh, cool, come on I'll give you something to eat, I remember how much you love my dad's ribs."

I nodded and followed him, every now and then I would see someone from school staring at me, and I wished I had an invisibility cloak to hide with, but I was with Sebastian so it didn't really matter. We stopped in-front of a table that was piled high with food.

"Mom went a little overboard today, Travis is back from school." He said as he grabbed a plate and started placing spoonful after spoonful of food.

I shook my head, did he just say that Travis was back? "Wait, Travis is back?!

"Yeah, you didn't know that? He's been back for about a week now...do you like beans?"

"No, I didn't. And no I don't like beans." I couldn't believe it, Travis was back. The same Travis who I had my first kiss with and the same Travis that told me he loved me. That Travis was back?

"Oh, well he's back...is this enough?" Sebastian handed me a plate filled with enough food for a horse.

"Yeah thanks."

"Come on, Jess, I've got a place to sit."

I followed once again and realized that I was just like my father following Sebastian with no questions asked. So much for not following my parents' footsteps.