Chapter Ten

Sebastian led the way, and I followed him looking around the backyard, was Travis even around?

"-so that's how we won the last game." Sebastian ended his long spiel.

"Oh, cool. " I murmured as I kept searching for Travis, the plate of food I had been handed was long gone now.

"Yeah, this season is going really well for us too, y'know. "

"Mmmhmm."

"I feel like this might be the year we finally go to regionals, and maybe even the state championship, that would be amazing."

I nodded along, half listening. How could Travis not even be at the party that had been done for him?

"-it's like all the hard work we've put in will finally pay off once we get to regionals and then like ma-."

"Where's Travis?" I interrupted Sebastian's monologue.

"Huh?" He turned to look at me, as though he were seeing me for the first time.

"Your brother? Where is he?"

"Huh, yeah he's probably in his room y'know, he's like that y'know unsociable or whatever. "

"It's antisocial. "

"Yeah whatever, so Jess, I was thinking we could hangout after my game next week. " Sebastian rubbed his neck  as he asked me out.

"Uh, yeah, sure we could hang out. " I projected a cool front on the outside while inside I squealed with glee, everything my middle school self had wanted was happening right now, plus I looked way better now too.

"Awesome!" He smiled at me before going back into his tirade about football.

I listened absently as he went on, in my head all I could think about was Sebastian asking me out! Me of all people, I couldn't believe it! However, a small part of me thought of him only doing it because of my virginity, but then again this was Sebastian. He wasn't that type of guy...right?

"Yo, Jess."

"Yeah?"

"Are you even listening to me?"

"Sorry, I have a lot on my mind."

"Yeah, anyway, can you wait a quick sec, I gotta get something." He handed me his plate and a beer can, that I hadn't even noticed him drinking.

"Um...okay." I mumbled to myself, since he had already left. I surveyed the backyard. My parents sat under the cabana talking to friends, Zoe glared at me from across the yard and Travis calmly walked down the stairs.

Wait. TRAVIS?! I quickly turned my head towards his direction, somehow it turned out to be at the same exact time he looked up.

We stood still, staring at each other, it reminded me of the moment he left.

*FLASHBACK*
Travis and I stood on the sidewalk between our houses, his parents were talking to mine and Sebastian was nowhere to be found.

"Can't believe you're leaving." I said, placing a piece of hair behind my hair, "Who's gonna help me make fun of everyone who goes to our school?"

He laughed, "Jess, you'll be fine, besides you have Daniel here."

"True, but still."

We stood there awkwardly for what seemed like hours, but was probably only a few seconds. There was so much that I wanted to say to him, like why he kissed me and why he told me he loved me, but I couldn't say it then.

"Well I guess this is goodbye..." He said, glancing back at his family who were waiting for him.

"Yeah I guess..." I mumbled.

"Jess."

"Yes?" I looked up at him, his eyes weren't as blue as him brother's, nor were they as wide but they were kind and familiar to me; like him.

"Forget what I said earlier, okay?"

"Okay." I said as my mind raced with even more questions. What did he mean by that? How could I ever forget that? How could anyone?

"Good...thanks." He smiled halfheartedly, as he started walking back to his family. They then got into the family car as they drove away to drop him off at the airport.

And just like that Travis was out of my life.

*FLASHBACK OVER*

I was the first to look away. He looked the same though, although his hair was longer and darker and he seemed even taller. I couldn't deny it though, he was definitely much better looking now. I begun to wonder if he even remembered me...if he even remembered us.