three

✿✿✿✿

"Dan?"

I woke up, yawning. My mother stood in the doorway, her arms crossed. Looking at the clock, I groaned. "Mum, it's Saturday, what are you doing?"

My mother shook her head. "This isn't about school."

I froze. "What is it then?"

"Tyler's mother called last night."

Shit. "And?"

"She said you and him went to a party. The cops arrived. Daniel, you could've gotten arrested! That would not look good on your portfolio! Imagine how angry Coach Will would be! Hell, this could get you kicked off the team!"

"I won't do it again, mum-"

"I know you won't, but you already have. You're grounded. No going out this weekend."

"But I have a date tonight-"

"Well do it next weekend! She can wait!" Mum snapped. He, I mentally corrected. I sighed. "Hand over your phone."

I snatched my phone from my nightstand, getting up and dropping it into her hands.

"You know I don't like being the bad guy in this household but-"

I cut her off. "But dad isn't around to do it."

"Dan, that's not it-"

I glared at her. "But it is! He hasn't come to one of my games this year, and we're almost onto Christmas break! You have no choice but to take his place around here!"

"It's not his fault-"

"Whatever. I just- I need more sleep."

My mother exhaled, giving up and walking out, shutting the door behind her. I let out a breath, throwing myself back against my pillow.

Phil will think I ditched him.

I shut my eyes, and again, fell asleep.

✿✿✿✿

When I woke up again it was late afternoon. My dad knocked on my door and I peeked from under my sheets. "I heard your mother took your phone."

I glared, falling back to the pillow. "Yeah."

"Dan you can't be mad at her for that. You went to a party without telling her- and worse yet you almost got caught by the police."

"If this is your attempt at trying to make me feel better, this sucks."

"I'm just saying-"

"I know."

"I try to be a good father," dad exhaled, beginning to walk out.

You're gonna have to try a lot harder, I mentally replied. He shut the door and I grunted, grabbing the pillow from underneath my head and shoving it over my face.

After awhile of self-pitying, my mother's voice rang out.

"Dan, Tyler's at the door!"

"Coming!" I responded. I threw on a sweatshirt, not bothering to put on pants. I trudged downstairs and headed to the door, grinning at Tyler.

"Hey," Tyler smiled. "Can I come in?"

"Grounded," I grumpily replied. He huffed.

"Right, I forgot. . . What ever happened with you and that guy last night? I saw you two wondering off. Where'd you two get it on? In the bathroom? Closet? Does he know about that one kink of yours where y-"