ten

✿✿✿✿

"Daniel, inside now. You, leave now."

"Yes ma'am," Phil quietly replied, giving my hand a reassuring squeeze before walking away. Cautiously I began to walk up to the porch, following my angry mother inside. She shut the door behind me.

"I can expl-"

"Daniel, calm down. I've known you were gay."

"Please don't gr- wait what?"

"You don't think I know how obvious it is. You haven't had a girlfriend since elementary school, not even a crush on a girl. There's nothing wrong with that either. I never expected you to come out, considering it's twenty-sixteen and gay shouldn't be such a weird thing anymore."

"Well what does dad think?"

"He's not very fond of the whole homosexual concept, but he didn't see you out there; I did. No, I won't tell him. That's your own choice to make. I'm only angry because of the fact that you took forever to come home."

"I-"

"Dan, your grades are dropping faster than your pants do for that boy out there."

My eyes went wide and my mother giggled slightly. "Mom, what the hell! Also, I'm bisexual. Or not. I'm something. I don't know."

"I'm kidding, but seriously. Get your grades together and you two can have sex all you want, as long as it's protected. Not like you can get pregnant anyway. Actually, I take that back, I read some weird books back in my day-"

"Mom!"

"Alright, alright. Just go upstairs and do your homework."

I grinned, throwing myself into her arms and hugging her tightly. "Thank you so much. And I'm really sorry."

Mom pat my head. "You really like him, don't you?"

I looked up at her, nodding. "Yeah."

Mom only smiled. "Give it time. And if you ever feel uncomfortable or don't know what to do or say, talk to me, okay?"

I nodded again. "Thanks. Goodnight!"

"Night, Daniel."

I ran upstairs and shut the bedroom door.

✿✿✿✿

"Ready for rehearsals?" I asked Phil Lester. He raised an eyebrow at me from his seat at the table, exhaling dramatically.

"Fine, but I call being the guy."

"They're both guys, now shut up and come on."

Phil chuckled and I grabbed his arm, the two of us abandoning the cafeteria and finding the theatre room. Once we were about to go in, Phil pulled from my grasp.

"I'm gonna piss myself if I don't use the bathroom."

"How romantic of you to say. Don't be long and try to keep it in the toilet," I giggled.

"Wanna come with me to make sure I do?" Phil teased, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively. I whacked him, squealing in disgust. He laughed and skipped off. I shuffled over inside and spotted Nick, furrowing my eyebrows and walking over to him.

"I didn't know you were in theatre," I said. He nodded.

"Been in it all three years so far," he replied. I eyed the brownies on the table, my mouth watering. Nick noticed, chuckling. "Do you want one?"

"I thought you'd never ask," I joked, grabbing three and shoving them all in my mouth, moaning.

"If I knew brownies excited you that much I would've made them a lot sooner," Nick laughed. I blushed, looking down.

"No, but seriously, these are really good. Did you make them?" I responded. He nodded and suddenly I was yanked backwards by someone pulling on the back of my shirt. I dropped my new brownie on the floor, whining. I turned to see it was Phil. "What? You made me drop my brownies, asshat."

Phil's eyes went wide. "Brownies?" I nodded. Suddenly he had his hands on my face, his eyes squinting as they ran over my face. "Shit."

"What? Get offa me, save the close staring for the stage," I groaned, smacking his hands off me.

"Howell, who made them?"

"Your brother, duh."

Phil facepalmed, demanding me to stay there while he stomped over to his brother. He shoved Nick and they shouted at each other, Nick not taking it seriously and laughing. I furrowed my eyebrows when Phil walked back over.

"They're pot brownies."

I froze. "What?" I looked over to Nick and he shot me a wink. I frantically looked back at Phil. "What do I do? Is it obvious? Am I gonna implode? Is this healthy? Oh my god- I could get expelled! And arrested! Or murdered!"

Phil held in his laugh. "They don't kick in that fast. . . Are you hungry?"

"A little, why? Should I not eat anything? Or should I eat a lot? Do I drink milk? Wait, I don't have any lunch money left!-"

"Alright everybody, grab the scripts and find your places!"

I sputtered, scrambling to find the sheets of paper. Finding them, I searched for my lines and spotted them, my eyes widening at how much I had to say.

I stumbled up the stairs, nearly tripping but catching myself.

"Alright, Dan is it?" The director nodded towards me. I looked over at him. "You're gonna sit up on that balcony prop, alright?"

"I have to go up the ladder?" I blinked, gulping.

"Uh yeah, you afraid of heights or something?" He joked. I shook my head, looking over at Phil nervously. He simply flicked his hand, gesturing for me to hurry up and climb the damn thing. I took a breath, looking at the contraption as if it were a dragon.

Cautiously, I climbed up, and finally I had gotten to the top successfully. Until the director spoke up.

"Phil, I forgot to say- you're supposed to be shirtless for this scene. Is that okay with you?"

I went wide-eyed and Phil winked at me in the corner of his eye before forcing a smile back at the director. "Of course it is, sir."

And slowly, Phil began to peel his shirt up and over his head, making sure he swayed his hips slightly and kept eye contact with me.

I began to sway back and forth subconsciously, keeping my gaze locked on his torso. I gulped roughly, but then without warning I was falling from the balcony and down to the stage. Before I fell, however, a pair of arms caught my head.

"Thank god you caught me, Les-" I cut myself off when I met a different colored pair of eyes.

It was Nick who caught me. He shot me a lopsided toothy smile.

"Have the brownies kicked in yet?"