Chapter 9

c. 2060

They arrived at Imladris the next day nearing sundown. Legolas seemed amused at Almiel's look of wonder when she saw the city. The golden aura it was dipped in seemed to her bright and homey. "That would be why it is called the Last Homely House." Legolas said.

Haldir smiled. "It is beautiful, your brother just likes to think Mirkwood is better." Legolas made a small noise of disagreement in his throat.

Almiel cocked her head looking at the city. "Neither is better… they are too different." Haldir's smile faded into a proud curve.

Young wisdom? He asked Legolas.

Yes… she seems to get something from the fact that her father is of the High-Elven.

"Ah, young Prince, my lord awaits you." Erestor said as they arrived. Legolas inclined his head and motioned for the other two to follow him. Now Almiel followed him, again shy, as they walked through the open and grand building.

After Erestor knocked on Elrond's study they heard a deep "enter" and then the doors opened inward. Almiel was now hiding behind Legolas again and Haldir smiled at her antics. "Legolas Thranduilion, I trust your journey was safe?" Legolas placed his hand on his chest and inclined his head.

"Yes, Lord Elrond."

"Good, what of you Haldir of Lórien?" Haldir copied Legolas' movements.

"It was well, My Lord." Elrond nodded and then saw the flash of gold behind Legolas.

"What have you brought with you?"

"It seems it wishes to remain shy in the presence of new people." Legolas answered, not without sarcasm.

"Your sister?"

"That remains to be seen as she seems to be incapable of showing her face in front of anyone new."

"Legolas!" Came a muffled cry from behind his legs. He sighed.

"If you would just come out…" Elrond smiled slightly as a small face poked around Legolas' legs but, upon seeing Elrond looking at her, she disappeared again. "Come on," Legolas pleaded to her, "this is Lord Elrond, master of the house. You cannot hide forever."

Haldir again surprisingly felt a mixture of embarrassment, confusion, and slight fear coming from the young elfling. Almiel, do not fear, he is a good and wise man. He then felt some gratitude flow from her to him.

"Come child, you have nothing to fear from me." Lord Elrond said. Almiel slowly peeked her head around Legolas once more. This time she actually moved in front of him but she still stood rather shyly in front of her brother, grasping his arm for comfort. "I hear you're the new Princess of Mirkwood." She nodded blushing. "Well, I have a child of my own, Arwen, who would probably love to meet you." Almiel cocked her head. She seemed to hesitate about something, but then she nodded. Elrond smiled then looked back at Legolas. "Will you be joining the feast tonight?" What did she hesitate about?

"Yes, of course." I will have to speak to you later, about a couple different things. As urgently as possible.

"Good, Erestor will show you to your rooms." It was a clear dismissal. Haldir and Legolas inclined their heads again and then Erestor led them out of the study. Come by after the feast.

Yes, Lord Elrond.

Their rooms were side by side with Legolas and Haldir in one and Almiel in the other. An older, motherly servant entered Almiel's room and smiled at her. "It's been awhile since young ones were running around here." She said. Almiel smiled back, still rather shy, and shrugged. "I guess we'd better get you ready for the feast. I brought some old dresses of Arwen's that Elrond said you could wear for tonight. Let's see which one looks best shall we?" Almiel nodded slowly.