Chapter 58

c.2941 TA

Mirkwood was chaos.

The Dwarves had disappeared mysteriously during the middle of the feast the night before. "Where's Almiel?" Thranduil asked Legolas as he stormed down the hallway toward the cellars.

"I am not sure." Legolas said.

"Find her." Thranduil said shortly, partially suspecting she had let them go.

That suspicion did not, however, stop him from accosting the two quite glum personages who had allowed the Dwarves escape. "What were you thinking?" Both Taenron and Galion said nothing, knowing that would only enrage the king further. And, as they thought, he quite quickly began his tirade. "There might have been plenty of time to feast later, and if you truly wanted too, you should have given the keys to someone more capable! I would not think this of either of you, well, maybe you." Thranduil said glancing at Galion who immediately blushed deep red, "But certainly not you! You are one to tell me that am reckless?! Not nearly this reckless! And besides-."

Thranduil stopped short as the door opened and Legolas appeared in the doorway. He had told no one to interrupt him, but Legolas had important news, and he was the only one brave enough to bring the king this kind of news, especially at this time. "Why are you here?" He asked suspiciously.

Legolas took a deep breath. "Almiel is gone." He said shortly, knowing it would be no use beating around the bush.

"What do you mean gone?" Thranduil hissed. Legolas winced slightly, knowing his father was already ready to kill someone. An angered Thranduil was one that would use his sword far quicker than any other, even perhaps quicker than an Orc.

"I have not seen her since three days ago. She's not in the gardens or the Palace. Nor is she anywhere in the city. We have been searching for her, with both trees and birds helping. None have seen her, or if they have they are keeping it to themselves."

"How. Did. This. Happen?" Thranduil asked. Legolas blinked once.

"I don't know. The last time anyone saw her was when she left the throne room. I went to find her after I finished sending the spies out but couldn't. I figured she wanted space and left her alone, but now she's gone."

Galion and Taenron were both paler than usual, and though they had been earlier as well, they were even more pale now. Thranduil began pacing. What if she left to go after the Dwarves? What if she was going to tell them what he had said? Valar, I don't want her near the dragon. Thranduil thought. The treasure not even a thought anymore (it had never really been that big of a concern beyond how much it would enrage the dragon should he wake and find it gone), he wanted to know where his daughter was.

"Send patrols out as far as the Old Forest Road. Send some down the river to Laketown. I want her found before Smaug gets riled."

*

Almiel and Haldir waited half a mile away from Dol Guldur. Gandalf had warned them both not to use their combined power openly and certainly not when anyone but the three who already knew could identify them. So they waited.

Haldir reached over and squeezed her hand, giving her some energy. She closed her eyes. It was almost time. She took a deep breath and slowly exhaled. She was performing the same task she had last time. It kept the Orcs oblivious to the White Council's movements and even the Dark Lord was now distracted.

Her eyes opened partway and Haldir could see they were troubled. She was helping kill the Orcs as surely as if she had been the one to deal the blows herself and, Orc or not, it weighed on her. He could feel her inward flinches every time one of them died and squeezed her hand again to let her know he was still there. She smiled slightly but concentrated on what she was doing.