Chapter 63

c.2941 TA

WARNING: IF YOU ARE A MOVIES ONLY PERSON THE FIRST NON DIALOGUE PARAGRAPH HAS ONE SPOILER THAT IS IMPORTANT (OR AT LEAST IT SHOULD BE IMPORTANT) IN THE NEXT MOVIE! IT IS ONLY IN THE FIRST NON DIALOGUE PARAGRAPH, SO YOU MAY READ THE REST. THANK YOU & ENJOY :)

(non dialogue... you can read the dialogue I promise)

"It is not my fault that your daughter has inherited your stubborn, reckless nature. I believe that would be your fault."

Thranduil's eyes blazed at the Wizard who realized that was not the best comment to make, given the circumstances. The Battle of Five Armies was over. Bilbo had been found, and Thorin Oakenshield had died. Thranduil had made peace with the Dwarves for the moment, and their alliance with Bard had deepened.

All that to say that Thranduil had now confronted the Wizard about taking his daughter off on some deathly venture into Dol Guldur. He had just been asking why Gandalf had, with any sanity, let his daughter come without asking his permission first. Then that rather audacious comment had come out of his mouth, and now he was inwardly biting his tongue.

"My fault? It is not my fault that she ran off without any regard to her own safety without asking me first! You know better than to do that! How could you?" Thranduil asked.

"If it makes you feel better, I was not totally incompetent. I had Galadriel bring Haldir along."

"How should that make me feel better? It only means you feared for her life even more!" Thranduil said. "I also suppose you found it wise to send thirteen Dwarves trooping through my realm without telling me? I could have aided them! I suppose my daughter told you the road no longer goes through the forest? Which, by the way, is more evidence of your wisdom in not listening to my advice in asking to remove that pestilence long before now. Tell me, what were you thinking?"

"I admit… I may have made a few mistakes. I deeply apologize for putting your daughter in harm's way but I still think I was aware of her safety."

"I suppose I can give you some credit for thinking of the Marchwarden… but still." Thranduil said. "I will see if I decide to forgive you later." He looked over to where the Healers were working, Almiel one of them. Then he realized that there was a person next to her that looked… "Haldir is still here?" He asked Gandalf, who nodded.

"Yes, the Lady gave him leave for agreeing to what he did, not that he would not have. In his defense, he tried to talk everyone out of it including Almiel though… no one listened."

"Obviously." Thranduil said rather bitterly and Gandalf inwardly cringed again. Almiel was bending over someone when Haldir touched her on the shoulder. She looked at him and he said something, but she shook her head. He seemed to inwardly sigh and he pulled at her arm. She swatted him away and turned back. Haldir crossed his arms and rolled his eyes. He said something else and this time she turned to face him. She studied his face for a minute before she appeared defeated. Haldir then grabbed her hand and led her out of the Healer's tent. Gandalf saw a small smile gracing the Elvenking's mouth and wondered at it. "I need to ask him how to win an argument with my child." Then Thranduil turned. "Speaking of my children, I have to find my son. If you will excuse me," he said and walked away.

"That was close," Gandalf muttered as Thranduil walked away.

*

Thranduil had invited Bilbo and Gandalf to return with them, but Gandalf refused still wary of the Elvenking's wrath. He figured he would wait to return until the anger had had time to cool. He had not lived so long to be defeated by the (in his mind) misguided anger of the king. Gandalf still wished Thranduil would actually lay the blame on his daughter's shoulders for a change. That, however, seemed unlikely as none of them seemed angry at each other anymore. Indeed, many of the elves were quite joyous on their return. While some mourned, many were relieved of the burden both from the south and from the dragon, and with peace on their hearts they were again glad in spirit.