FORTY-ONE

savannah's pov

i pulled my hands down my face and crept downstairs to the kitchen. the cold wooden and marble floors sent chills across my bare feet as i walked across them.

i couldn't sleep.

and i don't know if it's the dehydration in my mouth or the fact that i haven't slept in jack's bed for over a month, or the constant nosey voice at the back of my mind, telling me that i need to find out what i didn't earlier.

i headed towards the clean glass sitting on the rack beside the sink and ran the cold water, letting it fill up the glass.

leaning back against the counter, i took small sips while examining the way that jack's dark t-shirt ran down my thighs. from the top, i held the material between my thumb and forefinger, pulling it closer towards my nose to let jack's scent wave across it.

"savs?".

my body jumped at the startle, almost making me drop the glass still held in my hand. the light from the window illuminated jack's dark figure - he ran his fingers through his hair and gently rubbed his eyes.

"it's 3am, why are you up?" he asked, coming closer to me.

i gently shook my glass to emphasise my answer, "can't sleep with a dry mouth" i said, then handed him the half empty glass that he quickly chugged down.

i lifted myself up onto the counter and sat on the edge with my legs swinging back and forth. jack's muscular arms came and rested his hands on my thighs, he gripped them softly and i leant forward to rest my forehead on his.

the silence in the air was thick as i took in the encompassing warmth of his touch on my skin.

"madison's in trouble," jack's deep whisper pierced through my body. "that's why she was here earlier".

i retracted my head back from his, surprised at how he had read my mind, and tried to look him in the eye through the darkness.

"she said that her and her new boyfriend owe these guys some money and that something terrible would happen if they don't pay up" he willingly continued.

i nodded my head to show i understood as he intertwined our fingers, "so, she was only here because she wants to burrow-"

"hey," i softly interrupted and lifted his chin up to face me, my tiny hand caressing his cheek. "you don't have to explain yourself".

"savannah, i could tell that you needed me to. that's one of the reasons why you're down here, am i wrong?".

my eyebrows knitted together, "okay, but it's not that i don't trust you because i do. it's just me, not wanting anything to ruin us".

"and nothing will," jack assured with his arms swooping around my waist to pull me closer from the counter. "it's just you and me, babe. no one else".

i smiled and placed my forehead back on his - my fingertips gently stroking the back of his neck, "okay".

"good. now come on, let's go back to bed" he continued to hold onto me as i jumped down from the counter. then, i eventually started to leave the kitchen with his hands staying connected at my hips.