twelve

twelve

THE DOCKS were alive. Not living, breathing alive, but bustling with early morning activity. The skies were still fading into that lovely summer's palette of light blues, streaks of pale pink and swirls of white which would eventually give way to a clear sky, spotted with thick, bulging clouds who still left enough space for an eye-stinging sun to boil the citizens of Crown Heights. 

But for now, the usual citizens hadn't woken up. No, the skies hadn't even transitioned into that lovely palette yet. For now, they were still silent, an awaiting ocean dark, spotted with light stars. Workers loaded ships, scurrying about yet keeping a watchful eye on the special police forces creeping closer to one of the of the store houses. 

Few spoke, but the ones who did groaned about them blowing up another of them 'damn storage houses'.  

If I'd heard that, I'd have laughed. But instead, I sat inside one of those docks, with my prisoners all tied up, like pretty little christmas gifts. They were three of them in total, two men and one woman. Two unconscious, one glaring angrily at me. 

It was ridiculous. They were cowards, all of them, but despite the dark whisper within me telling me to snap their necks I held myself back, resting my body on a small wooden plateau raised a few metres above the ground by ropes. My legs were dangling in the air, and I whistled happily as Parasite glared at me. 

"I can't believe you got knocked out by a little electricity." I smirked, shaking my head, "I should call you pathetic instead of Parasite."

"Shut up." He snapped back, wriggling his hands in their bindings, "-murderer."

I cackled. 

"Says the blood-draining, soul-sucking shell of a human being tied up in my mercy." I mused, "-such a nice predicament, isn't it?"

He bared his teeth and I laughed. 

"Oh, shut it." Nothing could dampen my merry mood, "Now we wait." 

"For what?" He snarled, and I smiled. 

"Your doom."

"Har-har." He said, rolling his neck, a crack resonating throughout the empty store house, "-and how were you planning to get all those policemen here?"

"I left a lovely little note. Signed by you, actually."

He glowered at me, "And what are they going to do? Arrest me? With what evidence?"

"The murder of a certain man. Playground. A few weeks ago. You remember?" I jumped down to the ground level again, and stalked forward until our breaths mingled. I tapped his head, and his eyes narrowed. 

He was about to answer when one of the many tall, wide double doors were busted open. With a groan of metal, rusted doors flew open, and in burst one man. 

"Gray. Lovely of you to join us. A bit late, but that's alright." I winked, though I hardly through he'd notice it under the fabric of my mask. 

His eyes darted around the room, confused. 

"Oh, you must be confused." I tutted, my lips stretching into a grin.

He didn't answer, but let his dubious gaze float to me and harden. 

"You see, " I began, walking around Parasite before setting my hands on his shoulders, who tightened at my touch, "- there's this thing called the theory of dangling meat. I've made it up myself, quite clever, no?"