twenty four

(a/n: dedicated to @xoLaBellaTami for voting and commenting on previous chapters. )

twenty four

MY REFLEXES kicked in. A few weeks, months, without fighting at night hadn't left me completely gobsmacked at fighting with another superhero. Super-villain. 

And the energy I'd absorbed, that'd intertwined with my own - 

It burned. 

The figure who'd stalked me, whose relentless hate for me had fuelled all this was standing a few steps from me. Around us, between us, powers challenged each other. The electric plant was abandoned save for the two of us. 

But it wouldn't be. Not for long, at least. The media was on the lookout for me, and filming two villains fighting each other when one is wanted?

Pure gold. Front-page, liquid gold. 

"You're weaker than I thought you would be." My opponent sneered as we neared each other, powers stopping momentarily. I assumed it was a he, due to his voice. And his build. 

"Sorry to disappoint." I shot back, wrenching a bolt of pure blue electricity from a nearby metal pole. It crackled through the air and slammed down beside him, as he rolled to the side in the last millisecond. 

"Nice one." He taunted, curling his fingers as the metal pole shot up out of the ground, creaking as he forced it into the shape of a spear. Then it shot up in the sky, out of sight. I knew it was up there.

I knew it was bound to come down at any second, but while he was still occupied with staring up at the sky like a damn idiot-

My feet pounded against the ground as I widened my arms, jumping for him. They closed around his waist as I tackled him to the ground, the impact jarring. My bones were shaking, but I focused on yanking off the flimsy material off his face.

"Who the fuck are you?"

"Hello, dear Rae. Don't you recognise me?" He smiled, revealing yellowed teeth. 

"You're just a stranger!" I exclaimed, pushing him off of me, "What do you want?"

"For your blood to coat the streets, you bitch-" He replied, standing to his feet. But he made no move to attack me. 

And in a split moment's hesitation, I stayed where I was. Should I attack him? Maybe he had a trick up his sleeve, or maybe - 

"Why?" I replied instead, spitting out a mouthful of what tasted like iron. It was a pinkish substance, a mix between saliva and blood. 

Son of a bitch. 

"You're evil. A witch. You killed my nephew." He sneered, making a move toward me but then he clenched his fists and leaned back. A calm smile overtook his features, "Enjoy hell."

It was then I remembered.

In desperation, I took off sprinting toward him, and his eyes widened as he realized what I was about to do again. 

Seconds later, just as I collided with him, the metal pole fell back down, impaling the spot where  I'd stood a few seconds before. It broke upon impact, half of it falling in shards to the concrete.