Chapter 13: Return

"I DON'T UNDERSTAND why our presence is needed," Loki tells Thor, gently testing the bonds around his wrists as they finish their crossing of the bridge where they would meet Heimdall, guardian of the newly-rebuilt Bifrost. 

He's clad in his full suit of green, black, and gold armor - a combination of leather, metal, and thick fabric tailored perfectly to his tall frame. After time in isolation in an Asgardian prison wearing a simple shirt and trousers, it's comforting to be in his typical dress. The comfort level began and ended there, as his hands were secured tightly with shackles binding his magic.

Loki knows he won't be able to escape the bonds, but he twists them gently nonetheless. It's always important to make absolutely certain there were no mistakes made when fixing them to a prisoner, he knows, for a minute weakness could create a massive opportunity for exploitation and escape. Known on Asgard as the god of mischief, it would be of ill repute should he forget something so simple as ensuring that the bonds holding him are indeed binding.

Thor, his adopted brother and heir apparent to the throne of Asgard, frowns at him, his blonde hair tied out of his face with a brown leather cord. Clad in his traditional Asgardian armor, Thor is an intimidating presence to nearly everyone, but Loki simply finds his physical prowess an annoyance. What his brother has in brawn, he lacks in brains.

"We are needed, Loki," Thor says simply.

"Yes, of course," Loki replies with snark. "How dare one would assume that the attentions of Thor - wielder of Mjölnir, son of Odin, the almighty protector of the Nine Realms - would best be directed elsewhere rather than Midgard, home of the helpless."

Thor sighs, clearly exasperated, and repeats his explanation yet again, "It was not without great effort that Tony Stark contacted Heimdall, brother. We must return to Earth."

"The Tin Man," snarls Loki, resentful of Thor's insistence upon calling him brother, is more than willing to make his disdain for the Avengers known. "I was led to believe he and his ragtag comrades were more than capable of protecting Midgard in your absence. I'm not surprised to hear of their imminent failure, of course, but I must urge you to find better companions in the future, Thor."

"On the contrary, there are none better," Thor replies cheerily, stepping forward to clap Heimdall heavily on the forearm in greeting. "My friend, what news?"

"They are awaiting for your arrival in New York," Heimdall tells him, his gold eyes shining in contrast with his dark brown skin.

"Good," Thor says, turning toward Loki. "Come, brother."

Loki rolls his eyes, begrudgingly stepping toward him. He watches as Thor nods at Heimdall, who opens the link between the Nine Realms to allow their passage. The familiar light overwhelms Loki's senses as the feeling of solid ground departs from under him for a few brief moments, only to return as the New York City skyline appears into his view. He exhales dramatically, his chest rising and falling with his breath, as he turns slowly on heels toward the sound of voices behind him.

"Hey there, Hercules," Tony Stark says to Thor, whose red cape is billowing behind him.

Standing atop Stark Tower, or now Avengers Tower, the wind whips around them. Loki's long black hair flies into his face, and he rolls his eyes, unwilling to raise his shackled hands to push it out of his bright green eyes. This entire situation is humiliating enough without advertising his captivity to some of his least-favorite Midgardians. He could practically taste the stench of humanity clinging to him already.

Thor greets Stark warmly, and Loki watches as he is wrapped into a brief embrace by the strawberry blonde Pepper Potts. Dr. Bruce Banner, more fondly known as a green maniac with a serious anger management problem, smiles meekly at Thor, then glances over at Loki.

"Babysitting?" Bruce asks, cocking his head toward Loki.

Thor smiles reassuringly, "Loki is here to help."

"Wonderful," Tony groans sarcastically. "Just what we need. The god of lies when we're trying to discover the truth."

Loki grins, his bright white teeth gleaming in the sunlight, "Who better to unearth foul play than he who has mastered it?"

"Touché," Tony replies.

He turns toward the door with Pepper on his arm with Thor and Bruce following. Loki's smile melts from his face as their back turns, glancing over his shoulder at the bright New York cityscape that was nearly his only a few months before, then follows them into the building with a scowl.

Now Playing: "d is for dangerous" by the Arctic Monkeys.