Chapter 39: History

ANNA SHAKES her head in disbelief.

"I don't," she stutters, "I mean...I can't. I was..."

Her voice cracks, and she finds herself gripping Loki's hand like a lifeline. A sister? It can't be possible. She was adopted from a young age. She remembered the orphanage she lived in back in Russia. There was no one else. There could be no one else. Right?

Eren chuckles as if he's reading her thoughts, "You're likely wondering how you could have a sister, correct? How you don't remember anyone at the orphanage in Russia, how you were alone."

A lump grows in Anna's throat. She can't bring herself to move, to breathe, or even to face Eren as he continues.

"Do you remember the story of the fire?" He asks. "At your orphanage?"

She blinks twice, the memories flooding back into her mind. She hardly remembered the fire, only the stories they told afterward. There was an attack next door, some military group, and the orphanage caught fire. She was only three at the time. The only thing she could remember was a face - a man's face - as he carried her to safety, taking her to a new facility that would become her home. After that...

"...I don't remember," she croaks. "After the fire, I don't remember. All I know is the orphanage burned when I was three, and I was adopted at seven. Why...why can't I remember?"

"You were taken to the Red Room," Eren answers with a smirk. "Both you and your sister, trained from a young age by the KGB as part of a program to make you two of the world's deadliest assassins."

"You're lying."

Shaking her head, Anna blinks away tears. Her chest rises and falls as she struggles to keep her breathing even. Loki says nothing, watching her carefully as she absorbs the information.

He knew - Loki knew something was hidden in my past. Something I couldn't remember, she realizes.

"But how? How do I not remember? Why?" Anna sputters.

Eren shrugs, "The Red Rooms are known for brainwashing the girls. Either they wanted no emotional attachment between your sister and yourself, or your parents took the matter into your own hand."

"My parents?!"

"Ah," he approaches the glass with a satisfied smirk. "You didn't honestly think they were simply school teachers, did you? Your parents were two of the greatest scientists in the KGB. They became...dissatisfied with the Red Room and stole you - took you from the program and brought you to England. I'd wager they even knew about your sister, but they left her and hid the memory from you. Ever wonder how you learned how to pack such a punch?"

Tears threaten to spill from Anna's eyes at the revelation that her parents - the two people she trusted most in the world - knew about this, about all of this, and lied to her. She was meant to be a weapon. She has a sister. A sister. They never told her. They kept her in the dark about everything.

"That brings me to my deal," Eren says, sitting down in a metal chair. He crosses his leg, leaning back to relax as he faces them from inside the observation room. "Your life for that of your sister."

"I don't even know who my sister is," Anna snaps at him.

"Ah, but that's the fun part," he replies. "Natasha Romanoff - the Black Widow. You see, getting tangled up with the Avengers seems to be a family trait."

Loki stiffens next to her as she hears the name. Even he didn't expect such a connection, but of course it all makes sense. Natasha wasn't at the tower during the attack, which means she's on the run with the others - Barton, Rogers, and likely Banner. Either they want Anna to lead them directly to the rest of the Avengers, or they hope to use her as bait.

"Go to hell," the brunette spits at him. "I won't help you."

Eren lifts a hand and signals for guards to enter the room. As soon as they do, Anna practically cowers at the sight of them. Her mind and body have been trained into a significant fear response at the very presence of the men who torture her each day, and it takes all of her strength not to erupt into terrified screams.

"No, no, no," she mutters, now clinging to Loki with both arms.

The Asgardian edges forward on the bed, allowing a gap between his back and the wall for Anna to turn into. He holds positions himself in front of her, acting as a barrier between these men who wish to torment her yet again. Thinking back on his vow, his mind races for a solution. Some way to keep her safe.

Once the door slides open, the guards enter - guns drawn - and move forward slowly. A low growl rumbles within Loki's chest, his green eyes sparking with hatred.

"Take him," Eren instructs, surprising him.

A brave guard grabs at Loki's arm, attempting to tug him off the bed, only to be thrown across the room with a deafening thud. The second raises his gun to point directly at the black-haired god's forehead while more guards rush into the cell. Soon, half a dozen men point their guns at him, while the first one pulls himself off the ground. Dazed, the first guard retrieves his gun and points it at Anna instead, his finger curled against the trigger.

"You come with us, or she dies," he threatens.

Watching the man closely, Loki nods before turning to Anna. He squeezes her hand tightly, pressing a kiss to her temple, before moving to stand in front of the small squad of guards. The brunette reaches for him, catching his fingers with her hand, and he turns back to her. She's still terrified by the guards, but her eyes are bright with a mix of anger, determination, and fear. She's fighting it with all she has.

"Be careful," she whispers. "I..I need you."

Loki attempts to give her a reassuring smile, but his green eyes are dark with pain at her admission. He should have been more careful, he should have known what was happening. Now it's even worse - they're trapped here together, and he - the God of Mischief and Lies - made an unbreakable vow to protect this feeble mortal who sits in front of him. He wants to leave her, wants to let them take her or kill her, but his heart grows soft as he looks into her beautiful blue eyes.

He nods then turns back to the guards who escort him from the cell. Within seconds, they're gone, and Anna is alone in the cell. The sound of muffled laughter draws her attention, causing her to jerk up. Eren. Eren is still here.

The bastard moves to the door to the observation room Loki just exited, nodding to the guard through the thin glass pane, and Anna hears the 'click' of the lock. Then, he approaches the control pad to the room and the cell door slides open.

A crackle of electricity hisses through the room. Blue eyes bright with fear, her gaze lands on the long black wand in Eren's hand. He laughs at the sight of her unmitigated terror and slowly enters the room, swinging the electrified baton in his hand.

"Finally, we're alone again. Don't you know I've missed you, Anna?" He asks as he approaches, a devilish smirk curling up the corners of his mouth. "This will be fun."

Now playing: "Killing In The Name" by Rage Against The Machine.