Chapter 34: Pain

THE MEN APPROACH THEM with guns drawn, while Eren keeps his hand on the keypad - no doubt ready to start another session of whatever nerve gas they used on Loki. Anna's eyes are wide as she slowly stands, preparing herself mentally to go with the men willingly. Taking a step forward, she crosses in front of Loki's body and his shackled hands fly up to capture her fingers. His hands briefly squeeze hers as she meets his emerald eyes, forcing a rigid smile on her face.

"Come on, I'm bored," Magnus moans, causing one of the guards to reach out and jerk Anna away from Loki.

She stumbles forward and shivers as the guard presses the cool metal of his gun against the base of her neck. Loki growls at the sight of it, clenching his fists tightly while he sits rigidly on the cot. Every fiber of his being is itching to destroy the two guards, and he knows he could with the power in his little finger - even with the magic-restricting cuffs - but he doesn't want to risk them gassing the room with Anna in it. Whatever it was in the blue clouds of smoke burned him from the inside out, and he can only imagine the pain would be significantly worse for a mortal. No, he is forced to do nothing to spare her that suffering.

Eren presses a button on the controls, and the door slides open to allow Anna and the two guards to cross into the observation room before shutting behind them. The second guard holsters his gun and pulls out a pair of handcuffs, reaching out to secure Anna's wrists behind her back. She tenses up at his touch, and Magnus chuckles in front of her.

"No need for those, I think," he says with a smirk. "Should she resist or try to escape, we'll gas her friend again."

Anna glances at Loki, his green eyes displaying no emotion as he watches them through the glass.

"Are we in agreement, my dear?" Magnus asks her.

She turns back toward him and nods. Regardless of Loki's crimes and their screwed up history, she can't watch him go through that again.

"Good," Magnus replies, leading them out of the observation room and down a dimly lit corridor.

The surroundings are unfamiliar to her, cold and stark white walls, leading her to believe that they must be in a different part of the underground base from her last visit. Unfortunately, that means she has even less of a clue of how to get out of this place. Fantastic.

Soon they arrive in a large room filled with various medical equipment, gleaming silver and white under the harsh fluorescent lighting. Computers line the wall, and a single lab tech scurries between different pieces of machinery. In the center of the room resides an uncomfortable-looking chair equipped with clamps to hold down the arms and a ring hovering above the headrest. Anna resists the urge to run at the sight of it, remembering Magnus' threat to hurt Loki if she tries anything. Still, there's something about this machine - whatever it is - that absolutely terrifies her.

"Don't worry. We won't be using that on you," explains Magnus, noticing her expression as she takes in the device. "Not today, at least."

Instead, they cross over to another metal chair setup next to a much less intimidating piece of equipment - a polygraph test. One of the guard grabs her by the arm and shoves her into the chair, while the other begins securing the various sensors to her. Two go across the front of her torso, while another two are slipped onto her right hand which is clamped flat to the arm of the chair. The cool metal against her skin is unsettling, and goosebumps spread up her arm. Finally, a blood pressure sleeve is placed on her left bicep, and she notices two black pads on the floor under her feet - likely to track her leg movement.

Once the guard has finished, the lab tech takes his place and begins securing various electrodes on Anna's bare skin. His hand brushes the top of her left breast and she nearly headbutts him, but Magnus' eyes are trained on her. He left Eren in the other room with Loki, and she won't risk causing him any more harm. Magnus smiles as the lab tech brushes away the hair on the left side of her neck and attaches a second electrode to her. The man nods at Magnus when he is finished, stepping back to retrieve his tablet.

Magnus sits in a chair in front of Anna, unbuttoning his suit jacket and casually crossing his leg over the other, before nodding at the guard. The man takes his seat at the polygraph station then begins monitoring Anna's signals while Magnus begins questioning her.

"Your name is Anna Diona Roman, correct?" Magnus asks, his eyes dark.

Anna frowns before sucking in a breath, "Yes."

He smiles, nodding, "And you are 28 years old?"

"Yes," Anna says, rolling her eyes.

"And you're from...England. Norwich, specifically?" Magnus asks, causing Anna to sigh.

"Yes."

The moment she replies, the guard glances at the lab tech and gives him a terse nod. In response, the tech taps on his screen and a jolt of electricity shoots through Anna's body. Sharp pain originating from the electrodes on her breast and neck slashes through her while the electric shock causes her muscles to contract and shake involuntarily. A painful scream slips through her lips before the current flowing through her comes to a halt, tears pouring from her eyes and a small trail of saliva trickling down her chin, and her chest heaves painfully as she tries to catch her breath.

"These are control questions, Anna," Magnus tells her, unmoved by her torture. "We already know the answers. Now that you know what will happen if you don't, I advise you tell the truth."

Anna's stomach lurches, and she leans forward to vomit on the floor next to her feet. Her entire body aches from the excruciating pain, while her head and senses struggle to come into focus.

"Are you from Norwich, Anna?" Magnus repeats.

Spitting to the side, Anna glares at him, "No."

"Good girl," he tells her with a laugh. "You were adopted at 7 years of age, is that right?"

"Yes," she replies.

"Your fiance was killed in the Battle of New York, was he not?" Magnus continues.

Frowning, Anna inhales before muttering, "Yes."

"And the Asgardian in our cell - Loki, is it?" Magnus looks amused. "He's the one responsible?"

Anna doesn't respond, and Magnus glances at the lab tech holding the iPad. The man initializes the current a second time, a high voltage flooding Anna's body and sending her back into sheer agony.

"Yes!" Anna cries through her clenched teeth as her body spasms out of control.

The pain continues for a few moments before Magnus nods at the lab tech to end the current. He leans forward, resting his elbows on his knees, and stares straight at Anna. Sweat trickles down her the back of her neck, and her eyes are wild from the pain as she stares back at the man responsible for her torture.

"Do you know where the rest of the Avengers are?" He asks, his voice laced with hatred as he spits out the words.

"No," Anna whispers, wide-eyed and afraid.

Magnus looks at the guard, who confirms that she is telling the truth, then turns to the lab tech and nods at him. A gruesome smile contorts his handsome features as the pain returns, another shock stabbing through every inch of her body, as she screams out in pain.

"I don't know!" Anna cries, "I didn't meet them!"

The pain continues, burning like wildfire through her muscles, as Magnus watches with glee. He motions for the lab tech to stop before standing, buttoning his suit jacket, and walking toward the exit.

"I know," he says over his shoulder. "I just wanted to make sure you understand that no one is coming to save you."

Now playing: "Moonlight Sonata" by Ludwig van Beethoven.

*****
Author's Note

...Are you screaming yet? Let me know your response to this chapter in the comments! 

ALSO: My debut novel, Rache, is now available on Wattpad! I'm also launching a Bucky Barnes fanfiction called Lost and Found. Check 'em out!  

As always, please vote! 

x