Chapter 37: Bound

OVER THE NEXT WEEK, Anna is subjected to electro-shock torture for hours each morning. Her muscles are not able to hold her body weight after the torment, so she is dragged back to the cell and tossed into Loki's waiting arms every time. He does his best to soothe her wounds, his cold hands gliding over her skin wherever needed, but she is slow to recover. The involuntary movement cracked the healing bone in her right bicep, and her body is riddled with internal bruising and hairline fractures.

After so much suffering, the physical pain of the shocks no longer overwhelm her as they did before. Instead, simply the act of securing her to the chair sends Anna's mind and body into overdrive as the beginnings of PTSD take hold. Fear, and fear alone, has worked its way into her body, snaking through her mind like a poison, slowly driving her mad.

"Anna," Loki mutters into her hair, holding her against his chest after a fresh round of torture. "Can you stand?"

His fingertips push the hair away from her sweat-drenched skin, smoothing over the multiple burn marks scattered across her neck. Goosebumps riddle her skin, the cold seeping into her bones, as he does what he is able to relieve her pain.

"I'm okay," Anna responds, gripping his shirt tightly. "I can do it."

The two of them stand, Loki's hand clinging to Anna's waist as she leans against him. Taking a step toward the cot, her knees buckle, and they sink to the ground once more. Anna stifles a laugh, and Loki grimaces.

"Look at me, I'm pathetic," she tells him, struggling to push herself up to standing once more.

He frowns, shaking his head. As they work their way upright, he mumbles a few words into her hair, but Anna is unable to make them out. Once they take the final few steps to the cot, she sinks down into the uncomfortable mattress and allows Loki to lift her legs onto the bed.

"What did you say?" She asks, her blue eyes cloudy with pain and sleeplessness.

Nightmares riddle her sleep, and she often wakes up drenched in sweat and screaming. Loki does what he can to calm her, often pressing his cool hand to her forehead until she drifts back to sleep, but there is little he can do to keep her terrors at bay. As a result, her PTSD has worsened, and her body continues to fall into a state of disrepair.

Loki shrugs, "It is not important."

"Come on," Anna insists sleepily. "Tell me."

"I said," he hesitates for a moment, breaking eye contact, "You have the strength of the gods in you. I know few in all the nine realms who would sustain such torture yet be able to muster a smile as you do. I admire your resolve."

"Oh," she replies, unsure of how to respond.

"This will not last much longer," Loki promises, his green eyes marked with concern.

"I didn't think you were a defeatist, Loki," Anna jokes. "I know I won't be able to live through much more of this, but come on."

Loki frowns, pulling away from the cot and pacing the cell in front of her. His hands clench and unclench, the veins in his arms pulling tight as he makes a powerful fist. For a moment, Anna could swear the pale skin of his fingers had a bluish tinge to it. After a few minutes of silence, Anna hoists herself upright and swings her legs off the edge the cot. She takes a second to catch her breath, watching the dark-haired Asgardian burn with anger. He catches her movement out of the corner of his eye, then moves toward her. Hesitating, he waits - eyes dark - before crouching beside her.

"Anna, I..." he looks at his shackled hands, internally cursing the bonds. "We will escape this place, I swear to you."

He pauses, pulling a silver band from his pinky finger, and holds it up to her. The silver is knotted intricately, a delicate design of chaos and control wrapping around the entirety of the band. Anna's eyes grow wide at the sight, uncertain of what is happening and unsure of how to respond, so she stays silent as Loki continues.

"I, Loki Laufeyson, confirm by oath upon this ring - a lawful oath in the eyes of the Almighty All-Father, Odin himself - that I shall deliver you from this place, protecting you from death and danger, with the strength of my magic, my body, and my rage. I shall lay down my own life to see no further harm comes to you. By Frigga, by Thor, and by the Almighty Odin, may my soul be bound to yours, to be destroyed forevermore should I fail to keep this oath."

Reaching forward, he slips the ring onto Anna's middle finger before bringing her knuckles to his lips. He gently presses a kiss to the ring, green eyes staring unwaveringly into her blue ones, giving her hand a light squeeze.

"Wh-what did you just do?" Anna whispers, unable to look away from him a tears begin to well up in the corners of her eyes.

"I am bound to you," he replies simply.

"Why?" She asks, the feeling of his silver ring burning into her flesh as he continues to hold her hand in his.

"I am not a good man," Loki tells her. "I have done many wrongs, and there is no hope for my redemption. You, however, can and should be saved. After the damage I have wrought in your life, I felt it was the least I could do. I may be a monster, but I am not without a soul. I shall see you safe."

Now playing: "Salvation" by Gabrielle Aplin.