Chapter 41: Burns

ANNA'S KISS catches Loki unaware, but he surprises himself by the ferocity with which he returns it. Never in a hundred years did he expect her to do something like this, but he cannot deny how much he enjoys it. He'd been with countless women during his lifetime, including some of the most beautiful women of Asgard and other worlds beyond, but there is something different about this one. Something different about Anna.

He doesn't deserve it, any of it. Her compassion, her strength, her kiss. Not with his past, his brokenness. Ever since he fell from the Bifrost, he's changed. How could someone like her have feelings for someone like him? It's not love. It can't be love. Not only does he not deserve it, a part of him truly believes that it would be impossible.

A monster cannot be loved.

Turning his face to the side to break the kiss, Loki's breath is shallow and labored. Magnus and his men spared no expense in his torment, immediately utilizing primitive torture methods such as fire and brands to break him. His Frost Giant heritage made him stronger than any mere mortal, but it also makes him more susceptible to heat. Somehow, these men knew his weakness and exploited it.

While he wants to do nothing more than scoop Anna in his arms and take her away from here, allowing his fingers and lips to touch every inch of her skin, it is not the time or the place. He can feel himself growing weaker by the second, and her safety is his priority not his pleasure.

Anna leans her forehead against his, and Loki can't help but smile at the sensation of her soft skin against his. Her breathing is heavy as she recovers from their moment of heated passion, and her hands are still snaked around his neck. If he had the choice, he would wish for her to remain in this position until the end of time.

"That was..." his voice rumbles deep within his chest.

"...unexpected," Anna finishes with a shy smile. Her cheeks are flushed pink, and he can't help but notice how becoming it is. She is, perhaps, the most exquisite creature he has ever laid his eyes upon in the entirety of the Nine Realms.

"Perfect," he replies with a weak laugh. He lifts his hands to her face, cupping her chin with one whilst caressing her cheek with the thumb of the other, and presses a gentle kiss to her lips, "You're perfect."

Her blush deepens, and she shakes her head, "No. Not in the least. I got us into this mess. Stark, Thor, you. It's all my fault."

"Yes, well, I never said you were not a foolish woman, and this," he kisses her again, "only serves to lend credibility to the matter."

Anna laughs, a glorious sound more pleasing than music to his ears, and she unwraps her arms from his neck. He catches her hands in his own and presses each hand to his lips, before she pulls out of his grasp and stands.

"Then call me crazy, because I'm getting us out of here," she says, her blue eyes sparkling with determination.

Loki pushes himself to his feet, nearly collapsing against the wall for support, and waves off Anna's assistance. He's far too stubborn for her help, regardless of his feelings for her, and he's not about to let her know that what little strength he retains is quickly slipping away. The cold concrete provides some solace, so he takes a moment to catch his breath. His green shirt is unbuttoned and in tatters, exposing his burned and bloodied chest, and he can hardly stand - let alone walk. How she intends to facilitate their escape is far beyond him.

"How do you propose to do such a thing?" Loki asks.

Anna, who is currently combing the contents of the room for something useful, smiles at him, "Magic, remember?"

He sighs, holding up his wrists, "Are you neglecting to take these into account? I'll not allow you to go searching for that man to find a key. Not after what he's already done to you."

"You couldn't stop me even if you tried," she argues, firing him a dirty look. "Besides, if we're lucky - which I'm usually not, I'll grant you - we might not even need him."

She continues her search in silence, and Loki watches her from across the room. Her clothes are wrinkled and dirty from the many days they've spent locked in the cell, and her skin is riddled with burn marks from her torture sessions with Magnus. Somehow, even though they've lacked proper sleep and nutrition, she seems to be glowing with new resolve. Her eyes land on something on the far table, one of the many devices they used during Loki's torture, and he sees it written all over her face. Hope.

"God, I hope this works," she says, grabbing everything she needs to make it work and returning to Loki.

His green eyes are filled with doubt as he takes in oddly shaped device, recalling the pain it inflicted on his chest. More than one of his deep burns was caused by it, and he'd like to avoid repeating the experience.

"What do you hope to achieve with that?" He asks her, lifting an eyebrow. "I'd very much like to keep both of my hands, so I'd prefer avoiding that."

Anna smirks, "I'm not going to cut off your hands. I'm going to cut off those cuffs."

"And you believe it will work?" He sounds suspicious.

"We don't have another option at the moment, except for the key," Anna reminds him. "Besides, these were created to inhibit your magic, yes? That means they were probably thinking about the wearer's strength when they created them, not an outside force. Ideally, whoever made these would've allowed for some sort of weakness - or fail safe - for getting them off. Obviously not something you could do yourself."

She begins setting up the equipment, fiddling around with various buttons and controls until it flickers to life. Setting it down, she grabs a metal chair and loops her arm around Loki's waist to guide him to it. Their eyes lock for a moment, and Anna leans in to press a single kiss to his lips before picking up the device.

"Hold still," Anna instructs, her voice filled with uncertainty. "This is a plasma torch, and I've only seen my dad use one when I was a kid. I'd really prefer it if you kept both of your hands as well."

Following her directions, Loki clenches his fists and holds the shackles out for her to see. He can feel the heat from the torch blistering his skin, even though it's currently directed at the chain between his hands, and he clenches his teeth to prevent a cry of pain from slipping through his lips. Sparks are flying from the metal, landing on his bare arms in excruciating pain, and he squeezes his eyes shut until the sound of the torch stops.

"It worked," Anna's voice brings him back to the present, and he looks down to see the chain connecting his shackles cut in two. His arms are bright red and blistering from the heat, and Anna gasps when she realizes it. "Oh my god. Oh god, Loki. I'm so sorry. I'm so..."

She drops the torch, kneeling in front of him, and gently takes one of his hands into her own. Avoiding the marred flesh, she kisses his palm before squeezing his fingers tightly.

"Is it enough?" Her voice sounds small and fearful, and he can tell she is hoping to avoid using the device again to cut off the individual cuffs.

"No," Loki replies, shaking his head.

Anna curses under her breath, "Then I'll find something. I'll go find the key, or I'll find..."

"Anna," he interrupts, lifting his other hand despite the screaming pain and brushing a lock of brown hair away from her eyes. "We don't have time, my love. Do it."

"Yes, Anna," Magnus' voice comes from the door. "Do it." 

Now playing: "Clarity" by Zedd ft. Foxes.