Chapter 21: Awake

WHEN ANNA WAKES the next morning, it is slowly and unwillingly. Her whole body feels weighted down, and her right arm aches with a constant, overwhelming pain. She'd much rather be asleep than deal with this pain, so she refuses to open her eyelids for several minutes until the continual building of pain forces them to blink open.

Dim light streaming through a small window hits her eyes, and her vision slowly focuses on the unfamiliar surroundings. Wherever she is, it's not outside in the freezing snow, which means she must not be dead. Hopefully.

Movement in the corner of the room draws her attention, and she rolls her head to the side to see Loki reading in a small armchair. She studies him for a moment, racking her brain for any sort of indication of their current location.

"It is impolite to stare," Loki says without lifting his gaze from the book.

Anna laughs, but it comes as a cough, "It's impolite to drop someone off in the middle of nowhere, bleeding out, but you don't see me complaining."

Her voice is raspy from sleep as she struggles to lift herself upright. The weight, she discovers, is from Loki's heavy leather and metal adorned overcoat, which is still draped over her body as well as a thick pile of blankets. She winces as she puts weight on her right arm, twisting upright quickly to pull it against her body.

"You should lie back down," Loki tells her, still reading his book.

"You shouldn't tell me what to do," she snaps back, her eyes shut as she seethes at him through the pain.

He sighs, closing the book and waving a hand over it. It fades away into nothing as he stands and crosses the bed to Anna. Gently brushing his fingers on her shoulder, she jerks away from him suddenly. The quick movement sends another jolt of discomfort through her, and she squeezes her eyes shut to prevent tears from leaking down her cheeks.

"May I?" Loki says softly, waiting for her consent before touching her arm again.

He makes no effort to hide his annoyance, thinking of the makeshift stitches that may not withstand her movements. If at all possible, he would like to avoid repeating the operation. Part of him is bothered by the pain she's in - as well as her tendency to recoil from his touch - but he buries that deep underneath his indifferent exterior thanks to centuries of practice.

Anna's blue eyes meet his green ones, and she nods. It is a nearly imperceptible movement, and she keeps her eyes glued on him as he takes her arm into his hand.

"It's time I changed the bandage," he explains, kneeling beside her and unwrapping her arm gingerly to reduce discomfort.

The stitches are intact, thankfully, and there appears to be no sign of infection setting into the wound. She's been moving the arm, meaning muscle and nerve damage is minimal, but her pain is likely compounded by the cracked bone. The wards he placed over her to sleep have long worn off, meaning the ones he'd placed upon discovering her in the snow to reduce pain must be as well.

He glances up at her, noticing how her blue eyes are trained on his every movement. There is no threat of tears in her eyes, but he can see the pain etched in the lines on her forehead. This woman is far stronger than he'd imagined. Lifting a fresh bandage, Loki binds it carefully.

"Thank you," Anna says as he finishes.

"Don't tear your stitches," he lifts an eyebrow as he replies. "The bullet was lodged into bone, cracking it. I cannot repair the damage, but I can expedite the healing process."

"Really?"

He smirks, his hand hovering over the bandage as he whispers in a language foreign to Anna's ears. The screaming pain in her arm dulls instantly, and her eyes widen in shock.

"Better?" Loki asks.

She nods, "Much."

A swift knock on the door turns their heads, and Loki stands to discard the old bandage and open it. Jane Foster stands in front of him in a thick maroon sweater and jeans, her arms folded tightly across her chest, as she glares up at him.

"We need to talk," she demands. "I gave you the night to watch her. I want answers."

Anna clears her throat, flushing momentarily at the thought of Loki sitting up with her all night, to announce her presence to the woman at the door. A tiny brunette peeks around the tall Asgardian, her brown eyes wide as she takes in Anna's conscious form with surprise.

"You're up!" Jane squeaks. "I didn't think you'd be awake so soon."

Loki sighs, clearly bored, and steps aside to allow Jane to enter the room. She quickly moves to Anna's side while he returns to his chair, conjuring his book once more while the two of them get acquainted.

"I'm Jane," she says, sticking her hand out.

Anna smiles, looking from Jane's outstretched hand to the injured right arm pressed tightly against her.

"Anna," she replies with a nod.

"Oh!" Jane drops her hand. "Oh, right. I'm sorry."

Anna laughs, "It's fine."

Looking at her feet, Jane pauses for a moment before glancing at Loki and back at Anna.

"How do you know Lo--"

"I don't," Anna interrupts. "We've only just met."

Jane looks surprised, "And he...found you like this? In Switzerland?"

"Are we in Switzerland? I didn't know," Anna replies. "No, we were in New York with others. Stark Tower was under attack, and I was shot."

"You kidnapped her?" Jane whirls around to face Loki, who refuses to lift his eyes from his book.

Clearly pissed, Jane reaches forward and snags it from his lap to toss it across the room. Loki's fingers expertly capture her wrist, locking tightly around it. His green eyes blaze as she looks down at him fearfully, clearly expecting him to break the bone - or worse - given what little she knows about him. Instead, he plucks the book from her hand and releases her, leaning back in the armchair.

"I wasn't the cause of the attack," he sneers, the chill in his voice sending shivers through Anna.

"Stark told him to take me," Anna clarifies. "He was arrested. Thor and Dr. Bann--"

"Thor?" Jane's eyes fly open. "Thor's here?"

Loki's voice slices through the room like a knife, "No."

Her shoulders slump noticeably, and she turns back to glare at Loki. Far enough away to stay out of his range, her hands are firmly planted on her hips.

"Then why are you here?" She demands. "Rumors from S.H.I.E.L.D say you're the one responsible for New York. You nearly killed your brother, destroyed that town in New Mexico, then wipe out Manhattan - killing who knows how many - and suddenly you're off scot free? Bullshit."

Now playing: "Beat the Devil's Tattoo" by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club