Finders Keepers

~-~-~-~-~-~

Time passes much more quickly in France, Andromeda thought. It wasn't just that there was a nice long break halfway through the day, but also that the time she didn't have to herself at her new home was filled with busy and bustling people. Andromeda was afraid to miss things if she even blinked. Masked vigilantes protecting the city, a model in her own school-- Andromeda felt so small in Paris, no wonder no one talked to her. There was so much excitement around them at all times.

Feeling so small ended only when Andromeda discovered that the table she sat at in class didn't have another empty seat, but rather-- the boy she would be sitting next to every day was simply absent for the past week.

"Nathane! Glad to see you're back," Mrs. Thayer placed a hand on his shoulder as he walked into the classroom. He was a rather slender teenager, with dark red hair that contrasted sharply against Andromeda's. "We got a new student while you were out. This is Andromeda Clements, she's taken up the empty seat beside your usual spot."

"Nice to meet you," Andromeda gave a timid smile, and this surprised the teen a bit.

"You too." He responded, collecting himself and taking up the space beside her. Andromeda was rather surprised when, instead of pulling out his Mythology notebook, Nathane pulled a sketchbook from his backpack and began doodling.

Andromeda couldn't tell if she had heartburn, or if she was simply nervous to speak to the boy next to her. This was her one opportunity to make friends with the person she'd be sitting beside for the rest of the semester, so why was it so hard to find words?

Ah, right. Andromeda was rather shy. She nearly forgot.

"Is that the practical application of mythology?" Andromeda finally managed to crack a joke at the boy beside her, startling him out of his drawing. The teal eyed boy raised an eyebrow at her.

"Are you talking to me?" He asked, using the end of his pencil to point to his face.

"Yes." Andromeda wondered who else she could be speaking with, considering the boy was the only one around her. But then again, Andromeda would probably have asked anyone the same question had they addressed her after a week of silence.

"Oh..." He looks down at his drawing, "To be honest, I have all the stories memorized by now. I don't really need to pay attention."

Andromeda was both shocked and pleased by this information-- finally, someone she could relate to, but how on Earth did he find the time to memorize every single story?

"Besides, it's not worth paying attention on days where Chloe is in this bad of a mood, she just disrupts class every ten minutes." His bitter tone made Andromeda let out a small giggle. She could appreciate that she wasn't the only one who seemed unimpressed with the blonde queen bee. "I'm Nathanael, by the way. You can call me Nathane, if you want." The boy focused back down on his drawings, and Andromeda felt a tiny bit more confident.

"Then I will, Nathane. I uh, don't really have a nickname, but maybe.. you could come up with one for me." Andromeda noticed a small smile form on the lips of the boy beside her, and this calmed her nervous heart enough to have her pull through classes until lunch.

"You go to work during lunch?" Nathane asked, an eyebrow raised. "I'm pretty sure that's illegal."

"It is not! And besides, I'm accustomed to only having twenty minutes to eat, not two hours. I'd rather be able to spend the time earning money for my apartment--"

"And you live on your own? Wow, Americans sure are weird." Nathane shoves his sketchbooks into his backpack as the two teenagers exit the classroom.