Marinette, The Hero

~-~-~-~-~-~

She wasn't sure how he convinced her to come here, but Andromeda didn't feel as safe as Adrien swore up and down that she would.

Something about the way Gabriel Agreste looked Andromeda made her severely uncomfortable and vulnerable. Knowing how strict and constantly tough he was on Adrien made it worse.

"I just want to make you well aware, Adrien, that if her life were not in serious danger, you would face serious consequences for skipping all your meetings today."

Andromeda could hear his stern whispers despite him trying to keep his voice down, but a voice like that would carry through a thunderstorm, something Andromeda had never been used to. It reminded her too much of her mother.

Andromeda's skin itched. It felt like a million bugs burrowed under her skin and crawled around. Was this paranoia? Or was this just the fear? Both?

She couldn't stay here. She was putting Adrien in danger just by being near him. She shouldn't even want to be near him, she was already turning her back on her vow...

She couldn't be with Adrien, it hurt Marinette. To the point where she felt like she couldn't perform her duties as Ladybug.

And currently, Ladybug was kind of her last hope.

"Just quit arguing and take her to the guest room, we'll go on complete lockdown." Gabriel's heavy sigh makes Andromeda cower. Adrien quickly grabs her by the shoulders and directs her upstairs.

"I'm sorry if you heard any of that, he's really just angry I missed a shoot today."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be. Seriously. If I hadn't gone with you..." They reach the top of the stairs and stop at the first door. Adrien gets a pained look across his face before opening the door and ushering Andromeda inside. "Where would you even go? That was a totally reckless plan, Andromeda... er... Eva?"

"Andromeda." She corrected. She never wanted to be Eva. Never again.

"I could've... I would've been so worried. I just. I can't believe you were just going to up and leave-- what that would've done to me after two nights ago?" His expression broke her heart into pieces, and then lit those pieces on fire.

"I just knew I had to get away from Paris. She knows where I am." Andromeda takes a seat on the guest bed, and Adrien hurries over to sit beside her. She wants to inch away from him, but her body compels her not to. "I didn't stop to think about who I'd hurt... because she could just as easily hurt them if I'm here."

"You don't get to decide what's best for everyone else."

"Really? Because I think I do." Andromeda feels a small amount of anger boil in her, and she wishes she could just force her mouth shut. "I think if anyone knows what real pain is, and how to protect someone from it, it'd be from the person who lost everything." Her blurry eyes lead to tears running down her cheeks, and she pulls her vision from Adrien. "At least losing everything all over again would be less painful if I knew they were safe."

"And what about me? Would I know you were safe if you just vanished like you were going to?"

The look of betrayal he was giving her was worse than the look of disappointment he would've gotten if she had just told him he couldn't go with her sooner.

"It breaks my heart that it never even occurred to you that maybe I lov-"

"Please." Andromeda choked out. She curled her fists in her lap before bringing them up to her tightly clutched eyes. "Don't say that."